CI Grilled Spicy Sausage Rigatoni (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Interest continues to grow regarding grilling food in cast iron utensils. Additionally I continue to get requests from people asking me to keep posting the stuff I make in this manner. I made this Tuesday evening and thought I'd toss it out there. I know several people have purchased the individual 8" CI skillets and are planning to start utilizing them. Some of the ideas I've seen from folks are mind boggling but ideas are wanted for them to pursue so here goes another one.

Start with a 1# package of homemade sweet Italian sausage
001.jpg

Brown the sausage, drain the grease, add the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted diced tomatoes, and all the spices
002.jpg

Mix all that up and let it simmer on low for as long as you can possibly wait. The longer the better
006.jpg

Boil the Rigatoni noodles, drain them and toss with garlic EVOO and Pecorino Romano cheese
007.jpg

Put a nice layer of sauce in the bottom of the 8" CI skillets so the noodles don't stick
008.jpg

Add the noodles
009.jpg

A bunch more sauce
010.jpg

Pile on the fresh mozz cheese
011.jpg

Close up
012.jpg

Cut up a nice Italian style salad
013.jpg

Skillets onto the grill and cover with the pizza dome. Had to take the pic sideways because of the glare from the sun
015.jpg

Quick check about 20 minutes in. Looking good so far
017.jpg

All done
023.jpg

Serve with salad and some grilled garlic bread
022.jpg

This was about the best batch of sauce I've made. I was kinda in the mood to amp it up a little bit so I did, and it paid off big time. That sauce was just over the top good. The lightly browned cheese on top was just insane, especially when coupled with a light grilled flavor you get from a well seasoned grill. The advent of the pizza dome not too long ago has been HUGE in making far better Italian meals on the grill. Food just cooks so much more evenly and I'm now able to get that browned cheese on top without burning the bottom. Had the grill jacked up a bit this time, almost to the temp of a pizza oven. Was running about 500* and turned out to be a perfect temp. Meal was hot all the way through but not over done at all. Just had to wait a couple minutes before eating it. That melted cheese would light you up in a hurry!! Needless to say, we loved this and it's going on the ever lengthening to-do-again list.

Well, this one is a wrap. Thanks for dropping in,
Robert

Last edited:
Another excellent effort Robert and a beautiful piece of work, Like! I've got my two 8" CI's waiting for the arrival of my Slow-N-Seal, should be here this weekend. The plan is to use the SnS as a coal basket with the vents wide open when cooking on the CI's, should get a good high temp cooking indirect and not have to be concerned with coals burning up the bottom on the pan. Maybe a little prime on the Weber this afternoon while I'm waiting, we'll see. RAY

Last edited:
Looks awesome Robert! You know, I tend to use my CI on the grill mainly because I don’t have to worry about grease splatter and stinking up the house.

I think I have enough on hand for a CI baked ziti with sausage. I’ll have to run it by the warden.

We just may have to split a pan because a have the 10” pans...haven’t gotten around to shrinking one of those yet.

Like!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Another excellent effort Robert and a beautiful piece of work, Like! I've got my two 8" CI's waiting for the arrival of my Slow-N-Seal, should be here this weekend.

Thank you Ray. You know fully well you're one of the good folks I wanted to post this for. Very happy you found it. Sounds like you have a great plan in place. Can't wait to see what you do. I'm really getting into the CI grilling and would love to see some creative stuff from other people so I can get different inspirations.

Robert

Looks awesome Robert! You know, I tend to use my CI on the grill mainly because I don’t have to worry about grease splatter and stinking up the house.

Thank you Joe. I tend not to worry about grease splatters. That's what Tracy takes care of :emoji_wink: As far as the smell goes, we have a Beagle. You've never smelt anything till one of those cuts loose. She can clear a room!! When that happens I turn on the hood vent above the cooktop and stick my head up in it. It's a very large commercial grade vent so it does a good job of keeping me safe.

I think I have enough on hand for a CI baked ziti with sausage. I’ll have to run it by the warden.

Something tells me the warden will give you a hall pass for this one. If you have it, I'd recommend using the spicy Italian sausage. That's me preference for this meal but I always make equal amounts of the spicy sausage and sweet so I have to use them in rotation so I don't run out of one and still have a bunch of the other.

We just may have to split a pan because a have the 10” pans...haven’t gotten around to shrinking one of those yet.

The 10" skillet would probably be perfect for the two of you. Might even have a bit left over, but don't plan on that. If you make some, please post it. We'd love to see what you do.

Robert

WOW! Looks amazing!

Thanks Sandy!!Appreciate the kind words. I've been fortunate to eat in a couple of the best Italian restaurants in the country ans these would be right up there with the best of the best. They were really good!!

Robert

Man that looks good Robert. I've got to get into the baked CI grilling. Might have to grab a couple of the 8 inchers off amazon.

Appreciate it John. I'll tell ya, if you start into it, you're gonna love it. Those two little skillets see more use than any other utensil I have. With your brood though you may wanna think about 3 or 4 of them. The family is gonna fall in love with the food that comes out of the CI and you're gonna be busy keeping them happy.

Robert

Looks good Robert ! I love how that pizza dome makes it nice and bubbly brown on top! Another great CI cook!

Very nice Robert!

CI, Fire & Smoke ......a heavenly made creation!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky