CI Grilled Sirloin Stuffed Portabellas (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Wanted to try something different, which probably doesn't surprise some of you :emoji_wink: TNJAKE TNJAKE recently posted a thread where he did some crab stuffed portabellas....at least I think I remember them being crab. He did them as a side dish but they looked amazing and got the cogs turning on something to do as a full meal with the large mushroom caps. The idea started to formulate and I went with it.

Got a couple of 2-packs of the mushrooms
001.jpg

Cleaned them up inside
002.jpg

The sirloin filets. These are not very big in diameter but are very thick
003.jpg

Cut them in half and pounded them out a bit to better fill the mushrooms then seasoned with my beef rub
004.jpg

Got some cheese sauce going with some heavy cream, cheddar, Pecorino Romano, and Parmigano Reggiano
005.jpg

Cut up some broccoli
006.jpg

Get the skillet ready with lots of butter and garlic
007.jpg

Add the broccoli to the cheese sauce
008.jpg

Melt the butter
009.jpg

Flash sear the sirloins on the sear burner, about 20 seconds per side
011.jpg

Start building the mushrooms
012.jpg

014.jpg

Got a beefy rice pilaf going
015.jpg

Shrooms on the grill
016.jpg

Grilled some croissants
018.jpg

Mushrooms done
017.jpg

Plated. Now we head out to the patio to eat
019.jpg

Money shot
020.jpg

Somehow I managed to keep a little bit of pink in the steaks. I didn't think that was gonna happen but they finished out medium. I thought that with the quick sear then a bit more cooking in the mushroom they would be more toward the well done side but was pleasantly surprised. The steaks are tender enough and have more than enough flavor that they would have been really good even well done, but these were absolutely fantastic!! Just a beautiful flavor combination across the board. The garlic and butter on the mushrooms, the cheesy broccoli on the steak....WOW!! Another interesting, creative, and fun meal. I know it seemed like a lot of steps but they were all easy. This meal did not take a lot of time to put together and once on the grill it was only about 10 minutes to get the shrooms done. I'll be doing these or some other variation of them again real soon.

Having a bunch of fun,
Robert

I'd eat it..... ANYTIME !!!!!

Thanks Dave. It was pretty darned tasty, that's for sure. Got several things I love being steak and mushrooms. Also love broccoli so that worked out nicely.

Robert

Looks great robert. Cant believe you put a whole steak inside a shroom lol. Nice work.

Appreciate it Jake. If you look you'll see that I cut the steaks here and there so they would lay into the mushrooms. The intent was to ensure steak in every bite with no voids. I will tell you, the mushrooms you did looked absolutely fantastic!! Literally, I had to stop and catch me breath when I saw those.

Robert

Appreciate it Jake. If you look you'll see that I cut the steaks here and there so they would lay into the mushrooms. The intent was to ensure steak in every bite with no voids. I will tell you, the mushrooms you did looked absolutely fantastic!! Literally, I had to stop and catch me breath when I saw those.

Robert
Beef shroomington!

Reactions: Blues1
Damn those look good. All of the flavors mending together with the beef, broccoli, and shrooms must have been off the charts. LIKE!

Wow...some of you guys should open a restaurant! Shots like this keep me doing this stuff. Delicious no doubt!

That looks Awesome!!
I gotta try something like that, when shopping goes back to normal.
Nice Job, Robert!!
Like.

Bear

Looks good and pretty creative too! I like how the steak fits in the entire Texas-sized mushroom. Go big or go home right?

Like!

Damn those look good. All of the flavors mending together with the beef, broccoli, and shrooms must have been off the charts. LIKE!

Thank you John. Was good stuff for sure, and you're right. All the flavors came together in a beautiful way. The trick is to not overcook the broccoli so it doesn't turn to mush. Appreciate the LIKE my friend!!

Robert

Wow...some of you guys should open a restaurant! Shots like this keep me doing this stuff. Delicious no doubt!

Very much appreciate it but a restaurant is just WAY too much work. I'm looking to do less work, not more :emoji_wink: I come up with some interesting stuff sometimes, and even some bizarre meals that come out good. All of the inspiration for everything I do comes from the people here. Hang around long enough and you'll find yourself doing exactly the same thing. It's contagious!!

Robert

That looks Awesome!!
I gotta try something like that, when shopping goes back to normal.
Nice Job, Robert!!
Like.

Thank you Bear!! I know you're limited to a point in what you can do but these are SO easy and S"O good. As beautifully as you can cook a steak, you'll be taking these to a whole new level, I'm sure!! Try it with some leftover prime rib :emoji_wink:

Appreciate the like my friend,
Robert

Very much appreciate it but a restaurant is just WAY too much work. I'm looking to do less work, not more :emoji_wink: I come up with some interesting stuff sometimes, and even some bizarre meals that come out good. All of the inspiration for everything I do comes from the people here. Hang around long enough and you'll find yourself doing exactly the same thing. It's contagious!!

Robert
That's what I'm afraid of. ;) Good timing for me though...just retired, so lots of time on my hands.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky