Chopping / Shredding?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deke dirt

Original poster
May 2, 2010
Is there a good, proper technique for shredding meat like in those wonderful pork or brisket sandwiches ya get in top 'cue joints?

Of course, I understand that it doesn't exactly require a surgeon's skilled hand -- I'm sure just hacking and slashing six kinds of hell out of a shoulder clod with a letter opener would get SOME result -- but I wondered if there was a tip or technique for doing this well and evenly, or at least easily.

To wit, whenever I ordered crispy duck in Chinese joints for delivery, I would always just slash at it with a fork to shred it. However, when I actually went to a Chinese restaurant to have one, the waiter applied pressure with the back of a spoon on the meat and it shredded perfectly.

Anyway, I look forward to your replies and hope you can help.

Thanks,

Derek

Hey Derek,

Several methods that I will use are by hand shredding it apart...this is the most time consuming and difficult with hot product. I will also use my bear paws (you had a pic in your other thread about tools) and these work really well too. The most interesting and quickest method I have recently tried is similar to what you saw in the chineese restaurant. When the butt is in the foil after resting, just press down on it with your hand. Then when you take the foil off, you simply need to sort it and mix it around with your tongs. Saw a buddy do this, and I swear it was pulled pork in a few seconds flat!

thanks for sharing it sounds like a great idea. I'll be trying this out on saturday.

I agree with Pops2927! Bear claws are the way to go. I used to use two forks or my hands to pull pork, then I bought a set of Bear Claws and have never looked back they are great.

Scott

I have always used my hands to pull my pork but that can very warm on the hands. I finally have some bear claws to try on my next batch of PP. If its done right there is no technique you just grab the meat and start pulling and it just falls apart.

First off welcome to SMF and you need to stop into Roll Call and introduce yourself and your equipment and we can give you a big welcome. Now for your question I always use the claws and then my hands so I get the most of the fat pieces out of the pulled meat. There's nothing nastier then biting into a big hunk of fat.

If I've done my meat any justice for pulling, it falls apart by simply tossing it in a large bowl with a serving fork or two...tender, juicy meats will do the pulling for you, with little coaxing, and that's they way I like it. I let the cooker do all the work, so I don't have to. If I take it to high enough temp over a slow enough time after foiling and keep it moist, I'll have a winner every time. Just toss with some de-greased meat drippings and get those sammies built!

Eric

Thank you for the warm welcome. I can't introduce myself properly because I am, shall we say, "between smokers" (see my first post on these here forums). I have sampled all kinds of proper smoked barbecue but, having been raised on this particular kind, I think I'll have to say my favorite is Oklahoma/Texas style.

Thanks for the tip. De-greased meat drippings for the sandwiches, eh? Very interesting, do you think you could elaborate on this, please?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky