Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stikasmoker

Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Cartersville, GA
Our church is going to have a chili cook off and instead of frying and draining the usual hamburger - my wife suggested I smoke some pork and shread it and put it into the chili.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Well I'm gonna say this. I took a smoked picnic to an Easter dinner where everyone was expecting ham. They liked it but it wasn't ham. They wanted ham. I'd keep the chili dinner a chili dinner for the church and experiment with the pork in the chili at home. Just my experience. It may turn out great and be just the ticket for a gatherin at the house but when folks expect chili.... they might be disappointed in shredded pork in chili sauce. And you just don't want to have a whole church full of folks leavin you out of their prayers because you botched up their chili!

Second reading.... if this is a contest.... go for it! I'd experiment a little at the house first but if your goin for somethin different I think it would be tasteeee!

don't know if you are famliar with chili verde aka green chili but that is what you use shredded pork.if you never had it you are missing out.I grew up on red chili and then moved out west and discovered chili verde and it is my favorite

an option from shredding your pork is to take to a lower temp and cube it like a good Texas chili is done with beef-and yes out here a good red or verde is some good eating.

Desertlites is thinking kind of like I do, I think.

I like chili with a little "chew" to the meat whatever the type of meat it is.

With plain ground beef I try not to break or crumble the meat into fine bits but rather leave it in bigger clumps of sorts

Coarser grind is better (but dont have access to my favorite butcher anymore)

Cubed like small stew meat sized or small strips is maybe closer to what an original type of dish would be, cutting up the meat without a mechanical grinder just your standard kitchen knife

Chili verde is usually pork in a tomatillio based sause and usually a very slow roasted pork before it is even mixed with the sause. Good stuff!

Some places round these parts serve a dish that they may call "Chili Colorado" that is often a slow roasted pork in a red chili sause. More Good stuff!

Both Chili Verde and Chili Colorado (in my experience) are made from slow roasted pork that makes for great taste but...usually lacks in the "chew" department

All in all I have never had a "bad" chili, some better than others for sure. But like mentioned above, if folks are coming to eat something that they are used to or are expecting, changing things up may create a stir so to speak.

Might I suggest doing one of each? A plain ole ground beef chili and then a pork pepper pot?

good luck

I'm with the chunk meat section like texas chili. I would go for it and let the church folks know that you are a force in the kitchen and you will always be the Rebel child. Sounds good to me and I would go with the pork and chili verda. Because even if you don't win everyone will know you.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I made some dutch oven chili recently while camping that was a combination of leftovers from a few previous smokes. The star of the show was a smoked sirloin that was sliced like you normally would to just eat, and then cut into squares (so probably 3/4" squares that were maybe 1/4" thick). It was incredible. I've experimented with different beefs in the chili before, and this was by far the best.

As far as pork goes, I also had some of that in there, but I much prefer beef in my chili.

Oooh... idea! What about making you pot as usual, then move it to the smoker for about an hour. Get a nice smokey flavor throughout the whole thing... hmmm gonna have to try that.

Here is a chili recipe someone may be able to use, I haven't been able to because we don't have black bears in Kansas...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Black Bear Chili

4 pounds black bear roast chopped into ¼
½ pound bacon
2 tablespoons reserved bacon grease
2 medium onions coarse chopped
2 clove garlic cloves minced
1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano dried
1 tablespoon cumin ground
1 optional cayenne or liquid hot can beer
½ can tomatoes and juice (14 ounces)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 corn flour (optional)

Partially freeze the bear roast to make the chopping/dicing easier. Carefully remove any and all visible fat as it gives any dish an unpleasant flavor. In a large bowl, sprinkle the diced meat with the chili powder, oregano, optional cayenne and cumin, stirring to mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the chili spices to marinade the meat. Fry the bacon. Drain it on paper towels and cut into ½ inch pieces and reserve. Heat two tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and green pepper and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the diced and spiced bear meat to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned. Add the beer, tomatoes, optional hot sauce and reserved bacon to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 ½ hours. Add more beer [or tomato juice or beef stock] if necessary to prevent sticking and scorching. Taste, adjust seasonings, and simmer for 2 hours longer. Add the brown sugar [ and a little Masa if the chili is too thin] and simmer for 15 minutes more.

I think chili is a great use for leftover BBQ.

Here is a "recipe" for some chili I made from leftover brisket and pulled pork that I brought to my family's annual Hog Roast about a month ago. It's copied and pasted from another site where I posted it and since I'm not really much for recipes it's more a description of the one-off procedure I used for this particular dish. I made it a day ahead of time 'cause I always like chili reheated the next day better than I like it right out of the pot. It was delicious btw.

Here's basically what went into it:

About 7 tomatoes out of my mom's garden, one good-sized big boy, 3 or 4 small ones, and a couple of plum tomatoes
1 green bell pepper from mom's garden
1 big yellow onion from mom's garden
3 cloves garlic
3 jalapenos from my garden
2 sweet banana peppers from my garden
2 hot banana peppers from my garden
an assortment of dried chilis (5 or 6 arbol, 5 or 6 japones, a couple of pulla, 8 or 10 pequin)
2 dried ancho chilis
3 negra modelos
2 tsp or so of cumin
1 large lime
1 30 oz can kidney beans
about 1.5 lbs smoked beef brisket, an end of the flat, leftover from my housewarming party
about 1.5 lbs smoked pulled pork, leftover from a more recent bbq
extra virgin olive oil

diced brisket to about 1/2-3/4 inch dice. chopped pork. combined and set aside.

roasted tomatoes, peeled and chopped, set aside, retaining any moisture from the tomatoes.

roasted peppers, put into a sack to steam for a few minutes(makes it easier to peel), peeled, chopped, set aside

brought 2 bottles of negra modelo to a simmer. hydrated ancho chilis in the hot beer for about a half hour. chopped and added to chopped roasted pepper mix, retained beer for later use.

diced onions, minced garlic, set aside

toasted dried chilis in a cast iron pan, put into a blender, powdered, set aside.

sauteed onions and garlic in some olive oil to soften. added diced peppers, toasted dried peppers, cumin, sauteed a few more minutes. added tomatoes, salted and added a pinch of sugar. brought to a simmer. added the beer used to soak the anchos and the meat and the juice of the lime. brought to a simmer, covered, simmered on low. added another beer when the level of liquid seemed low.

after 2 hours simmer, added drained beans. simmered another 45 minutes.

This is the first time i have posted this anywhere .
this is a most unusual chilli and has won a few comps.
ingediants;
6 lbs once ground chuck.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 lg onions diced
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced bell pepper
1/4 cup finley minced garlic
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 ii.5 oz cans of v8 juice6 oz beef boillion
2 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 cup beer. (optional)
3 tsps cumin
6 0z chilli powder
2 tsps paprika
2 tbsps apple pie spice
3 tsp finely ground fennel seed
2 tsp cocoa powder
salt and cbp to taste
garlic powder to taste
hot sauce to taste
3 seeded and diced jalapeno peppers.

Lets cook!
in a 12 qt cast iron pot heat oil over med / med-high heat.
Add ground meat and cook till browned. After meat is browned add onions, celery , bell pepper and garlic.Cook untill vegetables are wilted.
Stir in tomatoes , v8, beef bouillion, liquid smoke and beer.
Bring to a rolling boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
Stir in cummin, chilli powder, paprika, apple pie spice, fennel seed and cocoa. At this time add jalapenos and season to taste .
Simmer for 4 hours , Stirring often.
The longer this chilli cooks the better it will taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky