Chicken Thigh Help Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokerNovice

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
Hey gang, did my 2nd ever smoke today. You all were EXTREMELY helpful when I did my first smoke, which was a complete success. I did ribs, and they came out fantastic.. Today was a little different tho LOL. I did ribs again, and they were great..buttt... I also attempted chicken thighs, and they were less then ideal.. So all I did was smear them with some yellow mustard, and coated them with famous daves rub. Smoked for 3 hours, at about 225. The chicken was cooked PERFECT. Temp was about 172, and very moist. But the flavor was really lacking. Big time. I really like the bone-in chicken thighs, but I'm looking for some tips how to make them better. More salt? Different rub? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I did jack daniels oak chips (which I didn't care for) maybe I should try apple next time? Would love to hear from some of you chicken smokin' experts! Thanks!

almost forgot to mention, this was with a master built electric smoker

For me thighs have got to hit the grill, get that bit of char on them, crisp up that skin.
This goes pretty much for yardbird in general.
I like to make my own rubs.
I like to make a modified copy of Montreal Chicken Seasoning, and lots of garlic and herbs combos.
I usually moisten my chicken with EVOO, then rub and toss well to coat and let it chill in the fridge for at least a few hours.
Or I'll make a marinade, usually I make it a thick red chile base, nice and spicy.
Then if smoking I do it hot-n-fast at 275°-325°, then transfer to the grill to crisp the skin.
Or just do it all the way on the grill, keep it up on the second rack and burn wood chips on the main grate for added smoke flavor.

Reactions: mike5051
I agree with Chili that chicken needs that high temp. I can get that on my smoker especially next to my firebox. In your case I’d set your smoker to max temp to help with the skin texture. If you have a grill then it might be best to put them over direct heat for a few minutes on each side before you smoke them. For me skin on thighs have come out well cooking them butter bath style in my smoker. Pricking the skin with something sharp in multiple spots goes a long way toward allowing the fat to render from under the skin. My tool of choice for pricking the skin is a corn cob holder.

George

A simple marinade with some Italian dressing overnight, or whatever marinade you like will add some good flavor and help to keep moist. When you apply the rub you can get a lot more flavor to the meat by getting some under the skin and don’t forget the bottom side too. Hope this helps.

You got some great help from the group, I agree with them all! Definitely get that skin crisp and get some of that rub under the skin before smoking. Marinade or injection will also work. Chicken thighs are one of my favorites.

Mike

No one mentioned it sooo... Dry Brine them. I just made 8 Duck Leg Quarters last weekend. Placed 8 small Cloves of Garlic, about 1Tbs Fresh Thyme Leaves and 2 Tbs of Kosher Salt in a mini food processor. I pulsed the mix until it looked like wet sand. I rubbed each leg with a heaping teaspoon of the mix and placed them in a zip bag. Massaged the whole deal and into the refer for an overnight rest. Next day I turned and massaged the legs again and back to rest until supper time, 24 hours total. An hour andba half before cooking, I rinsed and dried the legs. I placed them on a rack over a pan and propped the pan infront of a box fan. The legs dried, turning every 15 minutes until a pellicle formed. These were roasted at 325 until the skin crisped and meat IT hit 185 and was super tender. The family all comment on the perfect seasoning and flavor...JJ

Yup you can't go wrong with the advice given above. I will add, for me chicken(poultry) takes on smoke quickly. So be careful with the amount/type of wood you use. I usually smoke chicken in my Kettle instead of the WSM. Because I can control the heat and amount of smoke easier.

Chris

Man you guys are seriously awesome! Thanks so much yo those of you who replied with tips. I have written them all down, and will be sure to apply them next time I smoke some chicken. THANKS!!

Reactions: Satbman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky