Chicken Quarters w/ Cornell Sauce on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrazz71

Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
Hi, has anyone ever tried smoking Chicken Quarters w/ the famous Cornell Sauce on the WSM? I have had my WSM for a year now but have not tried any meat that has been in a wet marinade over night. Any suggestions on how to set up for a smoke like this?

Thanks

Cornell chicken is baste, turn and repeat until done.
Don't know how you'd do it in a smoker you had to keep opening and closing so much. But, don't have WSM, so I'm not positive.

I think Larry Wolfe from The Wolfe Pit blog may have done chicken on the WSM. The version he would have done is the similar Roadside Chicken. You might look around over at his blog for advice.

Believe the original recipe called for marinating 2 hours in the fridge. I might go 4 hours but not overnight. Afterwards pat the chick dry before placing on a well oiled grill, then cook & baste with reserved marinade, i.e. only baste with marinade the raw chicken DID NOT sit in.

Last edited:
I've marinated overnight, flavor is very good. I do cut back on the amount of salt called for in the original recipe.

My favorite chicken!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky