Chicken Pilau or...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...Perlo, as it's spelled and pronounced around me, is a cheap meal and was a regular for us meal growing up and my dad would make it a lot for Sunday dinner after church. He would boil the chicken and pick the meat off of the bones, then he would use the broth to make rice and put the chicken back in and let it all cook down together. As I got older, I learned to make it and then I learned what chicken bog was. The difference between the two, as I've always heard and believed, was that perlo was a more dry rice dish and bog was way more moist/sticky and included smoked sausage.

Anyway, over the years I changed my chicken bog recipe to include cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup and supplement the broth from boiling the chicken with store bought broth.

Today, I changed my recipe again and here it is. After all, this is a smoked meat forum....
Ingredients
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 lbs of Hillshire smoked sausage
- 2 small cans of Campbell's cream of chicken soup
- 1 small can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large onion. I used a Vidalia today
- About 4 cups of rice. I'll get a little more detailed later.
- 1 quart of unsalted chicken broth
20210628_124231.jpg

Here's where I changed my recipe again. Instead of boiling the chicken, I smoked it offset on my Weber with some cherry wood. No seasoning at all, this dish will get plenty from other ingredients and some added black pepper later.
20210628_132140 (1).jpg

After about 45 minutes of hot smoke, it's about 175℉ and ready to come off the grill. I'm only trying to achieve a smoke flavor, wasn't necessarily worried about getting the chicken well done.
thumbnail (9).jpg

Next the smoked sausage went on to get a little more smoke.
thumbnail (10).jpg

It's ready, too.
thumbnail (7).jpg

Slice the sausage into 1/2" pieces and pull the chicken off of the bone and break it up. Cut up the onion into what I call a course chop.
thumbnail (8).jpg

I do not use the skin in this dish, but Lucy got to enjoy some of it.
thumbnail (4).jpg

So now it's time to cook the bog. Open the cans of soup and put into a pot. Pour in the unsalted chicken broth and a good dose of black pepper, the only seasoning that I added. Next I add another 3 cups or so of water, stir it all together and bring up to a simmer on medium heat, stirring regularly.
thumbnail (6).jpg

While it's heating up, I soften the chopped onion in a TBSP of bacon grease. Could use olive oil, but what good would that be? We've all got a bowl of bacon grease in the refrigerator:emoji_grinning:..
thumbnail (1).jpg

Once the pot starts to simmer, I add in the onions, chicken, and sausage. Stir all to combine and heat on medium until it starts to simmer again.
thumbnail (3).jpg

After it starts to simmer again, I stir in 3 soup cans of rice, maybe 4 cups total, and bring back to a simmer without the lid on the pot. The pot has to be stirred a lot.
thumbnail (5).jpg

Once the rice starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low, stirring a lot to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning. It will thicken fairly quickly and burn on the bottom just as quickly. STIR OFTEN and allow the rice to cook, maybe about 30-45 minutes total, and it's ready to eat. The seasoning can be adjusted, but I think you'll find that the salt content is sufficient.
thumbnail.jpg

We like ours with Texas Pete, we like the vinegar taste, but whatever hot sauce you like is good, or none at all.
20210628_172710.jpg

I did not add any salt to this dish whatsoever, it gets plenty from the sausage and the soup. This is a dish that gets better and thicker, the longer it sits. Stick-to-your-ribs comfort food from my past that I've changed over the years and the smoked chicken and sausage really is a great new change for me.

The chicken can be boiled and picked off of the bone and then the broth used, but I always de-fatted the broth. This recipe is easily adjusted for smaller or larger crowds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky