Cheesy Chicken and Poblano Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I've been noodling an attempt at this in my head for a couple weeks. I love making things that can take store bought shortcut items and elevate them. That was my idea here. I used Minors chicken broth and Sam's Club Terrifico cheese sauce as the base broth. In that I added very finely chopped roasted poblano (also some green pepper) and onion. Chicken was from Sam's rotisserie chicken. Cumin, garlic, onion powder, Sazon Goya cilantro y achiote, chile moritas paste and liquid smoke rounded out the flavor. I made about 14 quarts. Feedback from those who got it said it was off the hook. I personally love it as well. I have a small circle of folks who like buying things like this from me a couple times a month so about half went to them along with small bags of shredded cheese and condiment cups of cilantro. Shared some with friends as well. I'll post up something closer to a recipe when I get my notes cleaned up.
1000005690-01~2.jpeg

Good greif that sounds good ! I hope the published recipe scales well. I in no way need to make 7 Qts at one time. I'll be the only one eating it. I tend to make big batches of stuff and eat and eat till it's gone but 7 Qts is gonna take a minute.

For the broth I used 6 qts of Minors beef broth mixed at about 1.25x strength. To that I added 3 32 oz containers of Sam's Club Terrifico white cheese sauce. Spices to add are 4T liquid smoke, 4T cumin, 1 1/2 t each garlic and onion powder, 2-3T Chile morita paste (can sub adobo from a can of chipotle). Bring to a skimmer and hot with an immersion blender to incorporate the cheese well into the broth. While it was simmering I finely chopped in the food processor 1 large Vidalia, 2 large green peppers and 3 roasted poblano peppers. (roasted and peeled the night before). Those were all thrown in a pan with a little avocado oil and two packets of Sazon Goya achiote y cilantro and cooked until tender. The night before I cleaned all the meat off of 4'Sams rotisserie chickens (of course I eat the wings and cramped up skin lol). Last step add the veggies and chicken to the broth and simmer for 30 minutes or so. You can thicken a little at the end which i did with a small amount of xanthan to keep it keto. That's it. Nothing fancy but exactly what I was looking for in a simple but tasty recipe. The broth concentrate and sauce add much of the flavor. The cumin and liquid smoke are a must. The hint of the smoke is delicious. For the peppers I'd you want spicier you can use all poblano. The poblano I got were pretty spicy and I needed a soup for a wide mix of folks. For lesser quantities I think this would scale down well divided by 3. My overall yield was between 12 and 13 quarts.

Reactions: JLeonard
YUM YUM !!
Thanks!
Awe. Some! I too like taking ready made ingredients and combine them to make something greater than what you can buy on a store. Nice job my friend!
Right on! It's a reason I like a lot of Rhea Drummond's cooking as she will do the same c
Good greif that sounds good ! I hope the published recipe scales well. I in no way need to make 7 Qts at one time. I'll be the only one eating it. I tend to make big batches of stuff and eat and eat till it's gone but 7 Qts is gonna take a minute.
I think of you divide by 3 you will yield around 4 1/2 qts.

Looks and sounds great .
Thanks Rich! It really exceeded my expectations. The folks who bought it have all asked me to make it again this winter.
A bowl of that would go pretty good right now.
Our temps are 15 degrees below normal this week.
Same here! Down in the 20s at night the next week.
Man its rainy and cold here today!!! I'll take big bowl please. Come on with the recipe.

Jim
Recipe or at least a rambling narrative on making it now posted Jim

Reactions: JLeonard
PXL_20231024_140659438.jpg
PXL_20231024_141245465.jpg
As you can see the peppers and onion are very fine. I wanted them to add flavor when cooked down in the soup but did not want large chunks.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks delicious Jeff! Temps getting down to about 18 here lately... definitely soup weather.

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff,
This one looks awesome. I have many poblanos and other peppers in the garden. Going to try and make this one for our annual salsa making party this weekend. Good soup for this chilly fall weather. Points!!

RG

You got me thinking. I'm not too familar with some of the ingredients or where to source them locally, mostly because I never looked for them.
I tried looking at pinterest for something similar but everything just fell a little short.
Now I gotta see what I need and where to get it. This is gonna be a craving until I make it.

Nothing reminds me of my childhood more then a good bowl of homemade soup, and yours looks great Jeff. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky