Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
THAT is one AWSOME looking brisket!     And I thought my 1st one was good.  LOL 

It was good but didn't have the look of yours.  Great Job!
thumb1.gif

Here's a question, Can you just take the factory adjustable grate in the barrel and put it high over the damper to use as a baffle?

Hello everyone. New to this site, and just got my CG 5050 with sfb. I've been going through your guys past notes and I'm getting ready to start my mods. 

I tried it without drilling and it gave me an area on the side of the pit away from the SFB slightly hotter than the close side. Could be good for doing higher temp smokes on one side with lower ones on the other. But then again I've only done one smoke

wanting to do a brisket

I made a 12x12x6 basket

to start a brisket and let it go through most of the night, how do you keep temps up and steady?

mostly lump and how much wood?

any tips?

wanting to do a brisket

I made a 12x12x6 basket

to start a brisket and let it go through most of the night, how do you keep temps up and steady?

mostly lump and how much wood?

any tips?
You will need to refuel a few times and you will need to monitor the fire.

I suggest you start with something less ambitious until you know how well your set up works or barring that cook the brisket during the day so you can monitor the pit rather than sleep.

If you start at 5AM and keep the pit temp in the 275° range you should be able to cook your brisket and be done at or near dinner time IMHO. YMMV.

How long have you been smoking meats and how experienced are you with your smoker, fuel types, etc? It makes a huge difference and if  this is your first brisket,  cliffcarter has your answer - do it during the day. I would add, monitor you temps regularly (when I  started I checked them every fifteen minutes, less as I got more experience). and hopefully you have or are keeping going to keep a log so you can work out  the quirks of your equipment and fuel types. You will most likely have to add more  of whatever you are using for your smoke flavor (Apple, mesquite or whatever) for at least the first three hours unless you are using enough chunks to last that long. The size/weight of your brisket also makes a difference. Then there is your heat source - I have used a mix of good old Kingston  regular, competition and lump  in various proportions to get the temp up and steady for  reasonably long periods, but still have to add every so often and what I add depends on whether I need to extend or raise the temp, etc. A wireless temp  (meat and grill temp) system can be valuable if you want to have them wake you up when they change  and the smoker needs tending:-)

Bottom line -  it is not a throw it in the smoker, go to bed, wake yup and it is done process. Good luck!

Pete

Bottom line -  it is not a throw it in the smoker, go to bed, wake yup and it is done process. Good luck!
Amen to that!  The CG needs tending for everything,  But that is part of the reason I like it.  Keeps me occupied.

Also part of the reason of why I hate it some days.  No naps!  LOL

So just wondering....I've read over almost every article, PDF, and story on modifications that people have done. My thing that I have ran into was a poorly taken care of smoker from a craigslist ad. Talked the guy way down because I knew the main chamber was ok but the SFB needed replaced. I got a new SFB bolted it on and the crapoy tac welds on the end cap and rolled metal body broke! Like broke off so that brings me to my question....
If I weld the whole thing would that help with some of the sealing on the SFB itself?

Depending on how you  have it welded - yes it should. I am a big fan of using USDA approved high temperature silicon as a sealant, especially the SFB door as well as the joint between the SFB and main chamber. .  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky