Cement Board

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

debert52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
I've seen a few builds where cement board was used to line the interior of the smokehouse. Is cement board considered a safe material for smoking at higher temperatures ..... like 250 or even 300?

Reactions: tmag and JLeonard
I don't see why not, people have been cooking on cinder block, and brick grills and pits for many, many moons.

Reactions: JLeonard
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, ( You can make your own decision )

I would not use it inside a smoker or BBQ etc unless you are covering it completely with another material.
Cement board and up here called Durock and others , have lots of material in them. That will breakdown after exposed to heat . Drying out Sustained high heat will cause cement to dehydrate and then deteriorate.

The Durock(r) boards are actually cement boards similar to Wonderboard(r). Both consist of cement reenforced with fiberglass (glass fibers bonded with resin).

AGAIN this is my opinion, unless it has changed it has fiber glass in it when I cut it and glues. The sheets are 4' x 8 ' or 3' x 5' So unless you have a very large smoke house you will be cutting to size and exposing even more then just the ends of the said cement board.

It is ok as a heat shield from a distance, not right in the heat and with food you will be consuming.

Just my thoughts

David

I would not use it inside a smoker or BBQ etc unless you are covering it completely with another material.
Me either .
Like David said it's poured into a fiberglass mesh , and the core contains additives . Some even have styrofoam pellets mixed in to make it lighter .

People think it carries a fire rating , but unless it's installed per the UL listed number on the product , it doesn't .

Like any other concrete , once it completely dries out it will crumble .
I used to order it 500 sheets at a time . On top of all the other " no " reasons , it stinks .

I know people like to use it , I personally would not .

sweet in a sickening way. lol
I'm sure there's some type of release agent used when they pour it . Has to be . That's what it reminds me of . Sickening is a good way to put it .
Heck if I'm at Lowe's walking down the aisle and see a stack of cement board , I turn around and go the other way . Lol .

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I think some of the cement boards contain silica and that can be and is bad to breath. Use caution when cutting avoiding the dust. If it’s solid and not friable i think it’s ok. Cover it with metal or tile or ? What ever you consider buying research the product and ingredients to see if they will gas off and what temp that occurs.
In the end you have to decide which is best for you and yours.

Reactions: smokin peachey
Would it be safe if you put a skim coat on it? I'm not a contractor by any means but I play one at my house.

Chris

Large chunks of hamburger

I think some of the cement boards contain silica and that can be and is bad to breath. Use caution when cutting avoiding the dust. If it’s solid and not friable i think it’s ok. Cover it with metal or tile or ? What ever you consider buying research the product and ingredients to see if they will gas off and what temp that occurs.
In the end you have to decide which is best for you and yours.

Would it be safe if you put a skim coat on it? I'm not a contractor by any means but I play one at my house.

Chris

And that is what I mentioned If covered MAYBE ok. but even if not cut, the ends are raw and loose.

Why take the chance . Not for me.

make an educated decision , Please read the info on the stickers of the said board you are thinking of using .

David

Reactions: gmc2003
I've often thought about that . That is it's intended use , as a backer . I would think proper prep ( mesh tape all joints ) and base coat , fill and a finish to a finished thickness of 1/2 " would work .
Just not sure what would be used .

Thanks everyone for the input. Based on what I'm hearing I think I'll look for another option. My preference would be to just leave it be wood. I just wish I could be confident that it would be safe at temps in that 250 range.

I and several others here have used Hardibacker cement board in our smokehouses. I wouldn’t use the fiberglass reinforced boards at all. But the hardibacker is 1/4” thick and more of a paper cement compression. Works great. No complaints.

The MSDS sheet for cement board states that it is made with non hazardous materials. As mentioned, the only hazard would be breathing the dust during cutting and fabrication of your smokehouse. Where a cartridge respirator and build away.....I did, and I'm happy with my smokehouse. Very even heat top to bottom.

The MSDS sheet for cement board states that it is made with non hazardous materials. As mentioned, the only hazard would be breathing the dust during cutting and fabrication of your smokehouse. Where a cartridge respirator and build away.....I did, and I'm happy with my smokehouse. Very even heat top to bottom.
Thanks. Did you seal the edges after it was cut? This is from the Hardie backer board data sheet: BASIC COMPOSITION 90% Portland cement and sand; 10% cellulose fiber and selected additives. HardieBacker cement board does not contain asbestos, gypsum, glass fiber, or added formaldehyde.

You're referring to a MSDS sheet for INTENDED USE .
cellulose fiber and selected additives. HardieBacker cement board does not contain asbestos, gypsum, glass fiber, or added formaldehyde.
That's the equivalent to " uncured " sausage and bacon .
Like said above , make your own choice .

You're referring to a MSDS sheet for INTENDED USE .

That's the equivalent to " uncured " sausage and bacon .
Like said above , make your own choice .
Yeah, I'm still undecided. Might just run with wood and take my chances with the fire risk vs the food contaminants. But, that said, it's probably safer than eating Cheerios....and a lot of other processed foods!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky