Cedar smokehouse construction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi,

I have another question about this build: is there some kind of design rules to choose the correct diameter for the smoke pipe and to set the distance between the burner and the smoker itself?

best regards,

Corbion

I have to admit, this thread is the reason I signed up for an account here.  I was wondering though, if you can create this beauty from something like red oak.  I like out in the middle of the desert and don't have a good lumber yard within a couple of hours drive.  Also, would there be any reason to not concrete the floor of the actual smoke house?  Also, I know with the small smokers there has to be a water tray, is this something that is required to include with a smoker of this caliber?  Thank you for posting this and it is an awesome job!

I have to admit, this thread is the reason I signed up for an account here.  I was wondering though, if you can create this beauty from something like red oak.  I like out in the middle of the desert and don't have a good lumber yard within a couple of hours drive.  Also, would there be any reason to not concrete the floor of the actual smoke house?  Also, I know with the small smokers there has to be a water tray, is this something that is required to include with a smoker of this caliber?  Thank you for posting this and it is an awesome job!

Smokers do not need water trays..... those were invented by smoker manufacturers who couldn't design the correct size burner for their smokers....... Soooooooooo , they use water to absorb all the extra BTU's......

Reactions: hoity toit
Sweet!

Here's a heads up for any non-mason to evenly lay CMU. Product called a CMU joint spacer. It's a small shim of metal that you set blocks one then mortar/tuck point. You can probably make them yourself with 1/8" steel strapping. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Could I get a better view of what you did under the shelf to protect/insulate the pipe? My wife has decided that I get to build this smoke house for her. Oh, BTW, the build looks awesome !

Another question, did you only use the steel plating on the roof of the firebox?

Last edited:
Build looks great! I too joined this forum because of this post. Found it on another site which eventually led me here. I noticed that others asked about rough cost of the project. I would also like to know roughly what this project cost. I'm in Texas, too, so prices would be pretty comparable.

Do you have rack supports for doing larger pieces of meat like ribs, brisket, or shoulder? What did you line the floor of the smoking chamber with?

I joined because of this post. It looks amazing. Do you have a list of supplies?

Last edited:
I have a metal square smoker. It originally came with the water pan. I found after a while it wasn't working how I wanted it to. I pulled the water pan and had a cast iron grill plate from an previous grill it it fit perfect. I insert it on an angle so the drippings hit is and add extra flavor. Got it so hot once I had to pull the meat because it was flaming so hi. After that I cut my fuel back and it's a great add.

Great Job !!! Looks fantastic !!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nick,

I was wondering what you did to cover the pipe that is under the wood storage shelf. I can see there are cinderblocks on the side, anything on top? Also, how is your temperature holding in the smokehouse? I understand you live in Texas and the weather is not too comparable to that in which we experience in Washington State. I am worried that having the firebox too far away from the smoker will not keep the heat up where I am at...

Thanks,

Brett

Nick,

I was wondering what you did to cover the pipe that is under the wood storage shelf. I can see there are cinderblocks on the side, anything on top? Also, how is your temperature holding in the smokehouse? I understand you live in Texas and the weather is not too comparable to that in which we experience in Washington State. I am worried that having the firebox too far away from the smoker will not keep the heat up where I am at...

Thanks,

Brett

Brett, afternoon.... Smokehouse designs, like Nick's, are generally used for cold/warm smoking..... The smokehouse temperature rarely goes above 160 ish.... If you want to cook something, smoke it first and finish in the kitchen oven.... The long transition pipe cools the smoke so you don't cook stuff in the smokehouse....
You can cook stuff in them BUT, when they burn down, you are out a lot of work and meat....

where do I find the exact measurements..plans...etc??

I'm getting ready to build one like yours......great job.....but I'll have a few small changes...the top of the oven will be a steel plate with a spring handle to access removal of ashes...also, door will be even with oven floor at bottom to help in ash removal.  Additionally, I've been researching "cold smoke generators", and will build one and attach it and a small aquarium pump w hose above the wood stack on side and front of smokehouse...........OVERALL, GRRRRRRRREAT DESIGN....THANKS FOR YOU RETURN RESPONSE...TERRY IN TULSA, OK

where do I find the exact measurements..plans...etc??

Folks just build to suit their needs.... most make their smokehouses to fit the material they have..... You can count the concrete blocks and get a real close idea on how big it is....

I'm getting ready to build one like yours......great job.....but I'll have a few small changes...the top of the oven will be a steel plate with a spring handle to access removal of ashes...also, door will be even with oven floor at bottom to help in ash removal.  Additionally, I've been researching "cold smoke generators", and will build one and attach it and a small aquarium pump w hose above the wood stack on side and front of smokehouse...........OVERALL, GRRRRRRRREAT DESIGN....THANKS FOR YOU RETURN RESPONSE...TERRY IN TULSA, OK

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky