Caveman Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

05sprcrw

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Rural NE
Well after seeing a post about caveman grilling meat/down and dirty method I was intrigued and decided I should give it a try.

I got to work yesterday morning and decided to make a small grill specifically for this.  Its 24 x 13 x 4 tall for the actual cook area.

So when I got home I got some lump charcoal out and started it up in a chimney.

While that was going on I got my fresh mozzarella cheese out, and the tomatoes that I marinated for about 12 hours in EVOO, salt, garlic, and fresh basil.  I put the micro cuts on both sides of the chicken, coated in a light coat EVOO and very very generously seasoned with salt and a bit of pepper.

Ready to throw the chicken on the coals its the moment of truth. Just make sure you either blow the ash off the coals so that it doesn't get on the meat. 

Well it didn't blow up and the chicken is on, I must say the smell is killing me at this point doesn't get much better as far as smells go.

They stayed like that for only 2 minutes at a time on either side for a total of 8 min or two times each side was exposed to direct coals.

Then they were taken inside where I put my tomatoes on top of them and a couple slices of mozzarella on top sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese.

It was then tossed into the oven on the top rack on broil to melt and brown up the cheese as well as heat up the tomatoes. And served.

Words can not express the flavors this chicken had, it was quite possibly one of the single best pieces of chicken I have consumed. From the flavors to the smells as it was cooking this was truly a fantastic experiment and will be followed by another similar cook this weekend but with steak.

The recipe I concocted (probably a real dish/recipe somewhere out there for it)

(2) boneless skinless chicken breasts

(4) fresh basil leaves freshly chopped

(2) roma tomatoes

(4) cloves freshly chopped garlic

EVOO

Salt & Pepper

Slice tomatoes and spread out so you can evenly coat them with the basil and EVOO. Then drizzle a generous amount of EVOO over the tomatoes, generously season with salt, and coat all the tomatoes with the basil. Cover up and leave in the fridge to marinate.

Take your chicken breasts and lightly score the top of the skin with a lot of very small cuts. I just put the knife on top of the chicken and dragged it across letting only the weight of the knife do the work.  Then rub down with EVOO, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.

Then its off to the coals, put chicken on flipping every 2 min for 8 min total, you can brush with melted butter after each flip if you want to I did not.

Once its done, pile the tomato slices on top of each breast, put a couple slices of mozzarella cheese on top, sprinkle with a bit of parmesan cheese. Into the oven on broil it goes to melt the cheese before serving.

Makes 2 servings

Last edited:
Looks like a great Meal. Nice Build too...JJ

Nice Thumbs Up
I have done steak that way, now I will have to do some chicken like that :yahoo:

Last edited:
I didn't taste any ash and I did not baste them. I had the intention of doing so but got caught up in the moment and forgot about it. There is very very little ash the meat, I didn't brush any off in fact. But when I went to flip them over occasionally a piece of lump would stick to it so I would knock it off and that was it.

Thanks everyone it was definitely a hit has me wanting to see what else I can do with this method. I am thinking that mid smoke cooks would be perfect, I could scoop some of the coals from the cooker into it and be ready to cook instantly.

This Rocks!  Love it!  
icon14.gif

Kat

Oh yeah!

That looks really, really good!  We used to cook meat like that when I was in Boy Scouts many years ago...just 'cause we didn't have a grill!!!!

Now it's in style!  I guess all ya gotta do is wait a while and everything you did as a kid will come back in style if it ever was...

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky