Catfish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup, we always ate Mud Cats, Channels, and Bullheads, mostly from the Delaware River, at night.
My son promised me some Flathead Chunks, but didn't get any yet.
He says they are the best.

Bear
Your son is right. The thing that makes them different from other varieties of catfish is their diet. They almost exclusively eat live fish, they're not really bottom feeders like the others and that makes their meat different. That's not to say that they can't be caught on a fresh piece of cut fish, but you generally won't ever catch them on any kind of stink bait, worms, soap, etc. like many use to catch other types of catfish. I just wish that I had more time to chase them like I did in my younger days. My personal best was about 70 lbs. when I was much, much younger.

My favorite eating fish. Heck, I was 14 before I realized Tennessee had more than Catfish and Brim. I seriously thought them other fish were only in other parts of the country. That's all Dad fished for.
The She-Beast recently took to buying FIllets and pan frying them. Gotta say, she done good.

I catch Catfish and Sand bass on a regular basis at least a couple times a week here in Oklahoma living by the lake. I fillet the Catfish just like the Sand bass and cut out the red meat line the same. Larger ones I cut into multiple pieces to cook more even and faster. It is hard to tell a big difference after being fried. I use a dry batter, half self rising corn meal, half flour, lots of pepper, a little salt and some seasoning. Then I thin slice onions for rings and batter them, then jalapeno slices from a jar with the last of the batter. (Deep frying takes a lot of the heat out but leaves the flavor) I throw in some potato slices last. I have a deep fryer on my deck that holds about a gallon of oil. By the time we get through cooking no one is hungry because of "taste testing" as we go, including my dogs. Ha Ha

Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky