Catfish & Fries. (Air Fryer)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Being a life long Southerner I have eaten many, many, MANY pounds of fried catfish, fries, coleslaw and hush puppies in my life. Nothing can beat a good fried catfish dinner. Your looks really good. Gonna try your method soon.

Thank You Hawging It !!!
When I was a Kid in PA, I was shunned about my diet:
My Dad was a Hunting & Fishing Machine, and he taught me just about everything he knew.
And My Sisters, Brother & I all ate the Heck out of every Catfish that followed us home.
My Dad & I used to Night fish the Delaware River, all night if needed. The catfish limit was 50 per day, and we often filled our limits of 50 each, with 10" to 16" Catties. which IMHO are the best eating size.
My Dad had it down to a science:
2 rods out----Catch one----cut the skin around the neck behind the gills, and pull with a Needle Nose. Then throw it in the bucket of water (elapsed time under 30 seconds). Then bait up, cast & wait, unless there was already one on the other line. Then when we got home, all that was needed was to remove the heads, and most of the guts came right out with the tugging of the head.
Then when we fried them like that, we just held onto the head end of the backbone, and scraped the meat right off with a fork, and flipped it over & did the same thing on that side, and we were left with the whole backbone, with the Ribcage attached, all in one piece, and a pile of boneless Catfish meat in another pile.

Here's where the shunning came from:
When I told my friends we had Catfish for Supper, most of them went "Eeewwww", You eat Carfish??" Yes as a matter of fact---Catfish have always been my favorite eating fish, just above the "American Eel". Now those same people are paying $17 to $22 for a Catfish Dinner in a Restaurant. I don't know if I shoulda been born in the South, but I know I shoulda been born closer to some Souther Restaurants!!!

Bear

Reactions: Hawging It
Thank You Hawging It !!!
When I was a Kid in PA, I was shunned about my diet:
My Dad was a Hunting & Fishing Machine, and he taught me just about everything he knew.
And My Sisters, Brother & I all ate the Heck out of every Catfish that followed us home.
My Dad & I used to Night fish the Delaware River, all night if needed. The catfish limit was 50 per day, and we often filled our limits of 50 each, with 10" to 16" Catties. which IMHO are the best eating size.
My Dad had it down to a science:
2 rods out----Catch one----cut the skin around the neck behind the gills, and pull with a Needle Nose. Then throw it in the bucket of water (elapsed time under 30 seconds). Then bait up, cast & wait, unless there was already one on the other line. Then when we got home, all that was needed was to remove the heads, and most of the guts came right out with the tugging of the head.
Then when we fried them like that, we just held onto the head end of the backbone, and scraped the meat right off with a fork, and flipped it over & did the same thing on that side, and we were left with the whole backbone, with the Ribcage attached, all in one piece, and a pile of boneless Catfish meat in another pile.

Here's where the shunning came from:
When I told my friends we had Catfish for Supper, most of them went "Eeewwww", You eat Carfish??" Yes as a matter of fact---Catfish have always been my favorite eating fish, just above the "American Eel". Now those same people are paying $17 to $22 for a Catfish Dinner in a Restaurant. I don't know if I shoulda been born in the South, but I know I shoulda been born closer to some Souther Restaurants!!!

Bear
Hey great story. Guess I have skinned hundreds of them. There are tons of catfish restaurants around us down here. We call them Fish Camps. That's what folks down our way have always called them.

Catfish & Fries (Air Fryer)

Time to try my AirFryer on some Catfish, and I’ll throw some Fries in too.

First I had to find a big enough flat container to put it in, so I could thaw it in the Fridge.
I still had to bust a little end off & put the Fillet in from corner to corner.
So anyway I got it thawed, then rinsed & dried it & cut in into 2 pieces.
I planned ahead on this, and cut it into uneven pieces, so I could fit the Fries into an area of their own in my Fry Basket.
Then I had Mrs Bear (The human Breading Machine) Bread the fish for me, and into the fridge to firm up.

Meanwhile I got out my Fry Cutter & cut up a nice Tater, and put it in cold water & into the fridge.

I rinsed them a few times & kept them in the Fridge until it was time to start the Fryer.
Then I plugged in my AirFryer & set it @ 400° for 30 minutes, so it won’t shut off by itself.
Then I spread my Fries out on paper towels, and patted them dry, and coated them with olive oil.
Then I arranged the two pieces of Catty, so I had the one corner empty for the Fries to have room in the wire Basket.
I ran the fan, and checked the Temp after 18 minutes. Nothing was quite done yet, so I gave it another 3 minutes.
I checked it at 21 minutes, and everything was between 155° and 165°, so I shut it down & pulled it all.

I plated this stuff up & used a little “Kraft Sandwich Spread” with my Fish, as Tartar Sauce.
I often use Sandwich Spread as my Tartar Sauce. Been eating that stuff since I was just a Little Cub.

BTW: This Stuff was Awesome, especially the Fried Catfish!!

Enjoy the Pics,

Bear

One Big Catfish Fillet---I had to find a big enough container to Thaw it in, and I still had to bust a corner off, and put it in corner to corner:
View attachment 413391

Thawed, Rinsed, and Patted Dry:
View attachment 413392

Cut in 2 pieces uneven (planning ahead):
View attachment 413393

Cut some French Fries with my "El Cheapo"? Fry Cutter:
View attachment 413394

Mrs Bear did a nice Breading Job for Me again:
View attachment 413395

Fries Dried & Sprayed with Olive Oil:
View attachment 413396

Here's why I cut the Fillets uneven---To make a nice corner area for My Fries, in the Wire Basket:
View attachment 413397

Fish & Chips A la Air Fryer (Sandwich Spread for Tartar Sauce):
View attachment 413398

Closer look at the Bear's Supper:
View attachment 413399
It appears you and others do a lot of air frying. I have one but really only use it for fries and onion rings. I need to step up my game and gather air frying recipes. As I stated in my previous post, the catfish looks great!!!

It appears you and others do a lot of air frying. I have one but really only use it for fries and onion rings. I need to step up my game and gather air frying recipes. As I stated in my previous post, the catfish looks great!!!

Which Air Fryer do you hav?
When all I had was my round black 3.4 Quart Fryer, I couldn't do much more than Fries & Onion Rings. This #360 really expands the Abilities.
And Thanks again for the Compliments on my Catties.
Wish we had "Fish Camps" up here.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky