Candied Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoker clean up wasn't too bad. I can imagine all that caramelization on Mama's favorite cookie sheet.

Great puppy picture Tom.
Thanks..She's oddly not the one who bugs me around the smoker..it's the chihuahua who has become the smoked food chow hound! And yep, that is exactly the issue. It carmelizes to the sheet and it's not easy to get off the sheet either.

Thanks..She's oddly not the one who bugs me around the smoker..it's the chihuahua who has become the smoked food chow hound! And yep, that is exactly the issue. It carmelizes to the sheet and it's not easy to get off the sheet either.

A Cha-hoo-a-hoo-a, huh? My daughter loves them. Always keeps several in the family menagerie.

My avatar is Jake. Regrettably gone for 6 or 7 years, now. My current Lab, Buddy, looks very similar so I haven't bothered in updating the picture. I'm a big fan of dogs and see good in most.

I don't mind our Ankle Biter; he's pretty quiet and my Shep is used to smaller animals. <Kittens and ankle biters were around her when she was a puppy>.

Now I wish since I smoked that sausage today, I had put some bacon candy on for the heck of it.

I use pans with inset wire racks.
Then just run hot tap water and it'll melt the hard caramelized drippings, boiling water is quicker but more labor, that or bust it into pieces with mallet.

Those sound like nice pans John. I guess that dynamite would work pretty well too? We used to joke, on the offshore fishing boats, that it would take dynamite to clean up fish blood left to dry on the boat, (As opposed to rinsing it down while wet). I always got a chuckle out of that image.

I'll confess to a bit of regret when I opened the smoker and realized that I had lost all the wonderful bacon drippings from 3 pounds of thick cut Wright's. The end product is helping me get over it but I love good clean bacon drippings.

Those sound like nice pans John. I guess that dynamite would work pretty well too? We used to joke, on the offshore fishing boats, that it would take dynamite to clean up fish blood left to dry on the boat, (As opposed to rinsing it down while wet). I always got a chuckle out of that image.

I'll confess to a bit of regret when I opened the smoker and realized that I had lost all the wonderful bacon drippings from 3 pounds of thick cut Wright's. The end product is helping me get over it but I love good clean bacon drippings.
You know the next time I do ABTs I want to put a pan under them to collect the drippings and keep them in a seperate ABT jar, to use for popping popcorn with. Ever do this with your drippings?

You know the next time I do ABTs I want to put a pan under them to collect the drippings and keep them in a seperate ABT jar, to use for popping popcorn with. Ever do this with your drippings?

That sounds like a good idea Tom. I'd like to hear how it works out when you do it. I wonder how much effect you'll get from the Jalapino's?

That sounds like a good idea Tom. I'd like to hear how it works out when you do it. I wonder how much effect you'll get from the Jalapino's?
Likely not very much. Only use a few tablespoons for popping the popcorn, I just like the bacon flavour. I'll remember to save them next time though. You can do the same with candied bacons..you get a sweet bacon salty popcorn.

Likely not very much. Only use a few tablespoons for popping the popcorn, I just like the bacon flavour. I'll remember to save them next time though. You can do the same with candied bacons..you get a sweet bacon salty popcorn.

I can see that I am going to have to go back to pan popping my popcorn on the stovetop. I've been using a pot, made for the purpose, and popping in the microwave. Healthier, maybe, but lacking in flavor.

I got an oil popper, also have a stove top one; prefer oil popper machine. I also live about 2 miles from a regional popcorn and concession company. I can buy a 5 gallon bag of their freshly popped popcorn for 10 bucks. <I actually forgot how much is in it, suffice to say it's alot>. Some times they have 'rejects' because some are slightly burned, or a batch wasn't just good enough for how they looked and they sell it for next to nothing because they other wise toss it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky