Canadian Bacon Bearcarver’s Way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I sliced it rather thin. I wish that I would have done half of it thicker now. It’ll still be awesome with some eggs. My son wants to make some Eggs Benedict this weekend with it.

Before I even had a Smoker, we used to buy "Cured & Smoked Pork Chops" from a Farmer's Market "Zern's" in Gilbertsville, PA. They cured and smoked the whole Loin, with Bone in. Then when you ordered them, you had to tell them how thick you wanted them, and how many, and they'd run them off on the Bandsaw, right in front of you. We used to get them cut at 3/4".
I Smoke the Boneless Loins, because I don't have a meat cutting Bandsaw, and I used to cut some at 1/2" (my slicer's Max) and some at about 1/8". I have since gone to cutting them all thin, because I get more flavor when I heat up 4 slices of 1/8" that I do 1 slice at 1/2".

Now-----WHERE??? Do you get the "Maple Sugar" Pellets???

Bear

Now-----WHERE??? Do you get the "Maple Sugar" Pellets???

Bear

Bear, the pellets are from AMNPS. I think I remember that his name is Todd. I know that you know his name. But he's the one that I got the pellets from.

Are you going to The Great American Outdoor Show this week? I'll be there on Friday if you'd like to meet up and I'll give you some to try.

Thanks, LOL---I didn't know Amazing had that flavor.
Todd's a Good Friend of mine.
We joined SMF about the same time, and I was one of his testers when he was inventing these Little Smoking Miracles.
I'll have to ask him about "Maple Sugar" next time I talk to him.

Sorry, about the only places I go to any more are Doctor's Appointments.
I even skip most Birthdays, Weddings, and Funerals these days.

Bear

I understand, it would've been nice to meet up anyways.

I know that I'll be ordering more of the Maple Sugar soon. I only had a 2lb bag and that dog just ain't gunna hunt. I'm going to need a 20lb bag now. I might just try everything pork with those pellets.

I'm worried though, I've talked them up, have become excited myself, etc... I'm just hoping that I can duplicate the same taste. I've never been able to actually taste or differentiate between different woods. They all just tasted smoky to me. That is until I tried the MS pellets. Now I'm wondering if I just haven't smoked my foods long and/or heavy enough to actually TASTE the flavor of the wood imposed onto the meat.

I understand, it would've been nice to meet up anyways.

I know that I'll be ordering more of the Maple Sugar soon. I only had a 2lb bag and that dog just ain't gunna hunt. I'm going to need a 20lb bag now. I might just try everything pork with those pellets.

I'm worried though, I've talked them up, have become excited myself, etc... I'm just hoping that I can duplicate the same taste. I've never been able to actually taste or differentiate between different woods. They all just tasted smoky to me. That is until I tried the MS pellets. Now I'm wondering if I just haven't smoked my foods long and/or heavy enough to actually TASTE the flavor of the wood imposed onto the meat.

I was just on the Amazing site.
I don't see anything called "Maple Sugar".
The only thing I see is "Maple" and "Sugar Maple".

Sugar Maple is just a Species of the "Maple" family.
I would never guessed it would actually give a "Maple" flavor just by smoking with it.
I could also only find it in 1 pound bags, listed as
BBQr's DELIGHT GRILLING PELLETS - 1LB For $5.49.

Bear

thebig1, I am kind of interesting in ordering Maple sugar pellets and just checked AMNPS site - I was able to find only 1 pound bags for $ 5.49 each which is kind of expensive... Looks like the y don't carry 20# bags.... Am I missing something?

I was just on the Amazing site.
I don't see anything called "Maple Sugar".
The only thing I see is "Maple" and "Sugar Maple".

Sugar Maple is just a Species of the "Maple" family.
I would never guessed it would actually give a "Maple" flavor just by smoking with it.
I could also only find it in 1 pound bags, listed as
BBQr's DELIGHT GRILLING PELLETS - 1LB For $5.49.

Bear

thebig1, I am kind of interesting in ordering Maple sugar pellets and just checked AMNPS site - I was able to find only 1 pound bags for $ 5.49 each which is kind of expensive... Looks like the y don't carry 20# bags.... Am I missing something?

Fellas, I too went on there looking and couldn’t find it. I will take a pic of the bag when I get home and post it. Maybe it’s a flavor that didn’t do too well or something. I see new flavors listed that weren’t there a few months ago when I was on the site.

Stand by

Fellas, I too went on there looking and couldn’t find it. I will take a pic of the bag when I get home and post it. Maybe it’s a flavor that didn’t do too well or something. I see new flavors listed that weren’t there a few months ago when I was on the site.

Stand by

Meanwhile, I'll ask Todd what the scoop is.

Bear

Reactions: thebig1
F786E1D9-0B90-4A45-A6AA-CB01E1742EAB.jpeg
Correction!!!!!!

I apologize for any confusion and/or inconvenience. You are correct, it is SUGAR MAPLE. I say again, IT IS SUGAR MAPLE.

Bear, we’re y able to speak to Todd about whether or not Sugar Maple is, or will be, available in 2lb, 5lb, and/or 20lb bags?

I know I want 20lb myself.

Bear, we’re y able to speak to Todd about whether or not Sugar Maple is, or will be, available in 2lb, 5lb, and/or 20lb bags?

I know I want 20lb myself.

I didn't ask him about future size availability, because he said you must have gotten the Maple flavor some other way, because he doesn't know anyone who can tell the difference between Sugar Maple & Maple, and he never heard of any actual Maple flavor from either. That's kinda what I always thought, until you had this episode.

The biggest difference in the Maples is that the Sugar Maple is the hardest of the lot.

Bear

I didn't ask him about future size availability, because he said you must have gotten the Maple flavor some other way, because he doesn't know anyone who can tell the difference between Sugar Maple & Maple, and he never heard of any actual Maple flavor from either. That's kinda what I always thought, until you had this episode.

The biggest difference in the Maples is that the Sugar Maple is the hardest of the lot.

Bear

Wow, ok. I did exactly what you did with the TQ and brown sugar. I’d thought about the brown sugar but just like the cure it’s washed off prior to smoking, etc... Unless it really seeps into the meat during the curing process.

Wow, ok. I did exactly what you did with the TQ and brown sugar. I’d thought about the brown sugar but just like the cure it’s washed off prior to smoking, etc... Unless it really seeps into the meat during the curing process.

Everything that turns into liquid rides along into the meat during the curing process.
You should get some Maple & some Sugar Maple, and see if you can tell the difference after smoking a couple times with each. I suspect they will be about the same.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky