Canadian Bacon Bearcarver’s Way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hopefully it's good to go!
If it's bad on the outside, don't toss it.
If it doesn't scrub off, you should be able to slice the outer portion off, especially with a meat slicer.
Fingers crossed.

I do that sometimes with some of my BBB, CB, and Dried Beef, even when it's good, because Bear Jr loves the outside. He says it's better than the best Jerky he ever had. So I trim a bunch off & give it to him.

Bear

That’s sound advice, I truly appreciate it. I might have made a mistake and junked it.

I would wait for several days to allow the smoke to even out through the meat.
That's why I got a small fridge for outside. I let my bacon's age for 5 days basking in the 30's on the open on a rack.
It does two things: Allows the smoke in the Bacon's to mellow. And gives my beer cans a wonderful bacon aroma.
(And it doesn't make the indoor fridge stinky. Which was the most important thing.)

That's also a good idea Sonny. Perhaps I'll do that due to what looks like a super heavy smoke.

That's also a good idea Sonny. Perhaps I'll do that due to what looks like a super heavy smoke.

I've tried numerous amounts of time in the fridge after smoking.
I find 36 to 48 is better than 12 hours, but after 48 hours there is very little if any change in flavor throughout.
Nowadays I wait until the second day after smoking, to slice my Bacon---About 40 to 45 hours.

Bear

You just had to go and offer your experience and advice again didn't you Bear? Now I'll be slicing and sampling tonight since Bearcarver said that from his experience it doens't add anything additional. LOL

Seriously, all I was looking for was an excuse to do it anyways. I'm looking forward to it and am remaining hopeful.

You just had to go and offer your experience and advice again didn't you Bear? Now I'll be slicing and sampling tonight since Bearcarver said that from his experience it doens't add anything additional. LOL

Seriously, all I was looking for was an excuse to do it anyways. I'm looking forward to it and am remaining hopeful.

I'm getting anxious to find out if that unusual dark color is a bad thing, and if so how bad.
I would think worst case could be fixed by trimming, like I mentioned before.
If it's only slightly bad, a few extra days in a fridge might help, but since it never happened to me, that one is only a hopeful guess.

Bear

Whether it is bad or not, Leaving it in with the cans of beer doesn't hurt any.
They take on as much of the smokey bacon flavor as the bacon will give up.

You have 6, try 1 a day for 6 days.
When you decide... There's your favorite bacon! :emoji_laughing:

Whether it is bad or not, Leaving it in with the cans of beer doesn't hurt any.
They take on as much of the smokey bacon flavor as the bacon will give up.

You have 6, try 1 a day for 6 days.
When you decide... There's your favorite bacon! :emoji_laughing:

I like the way you think Sonny!!!!

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! (Pun intended)

We have found astounding success. This Canadian bacon is actually better than anything I could have imagined. I was extremely worried about how dark it got, thinking that I over smoked it.

I used Maple Sugar pellets from AMNPS. I swear to you that I can taste the maple sugar in the smoke on the bacon.

Oh my, I can’t express enough how good it is. Now I’m going to need a 20lb box of those pellets for pork smoking.

More pics will come when I slice it all after dinner.

FEFB0160-6837-4CEE-9DB7-739BCADC790B.jpeg

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! (Pun intended)

We have found astounding success. This Canadian bacon is actually better than anything I could have imagined. I was extremely worried about how dark it got, thinking that I over smoked it.

I used Maple Sugar pellets from AMNPS. I swear to you that I can taste the maple sugar in the smoke on the bacon.

Oh my, I can’t express enough how good it is. Now I’m going to need a 20lb box of those pellets for pork smoking.

More pics will come when I slice it all after dinner.

I was hoping for that outcome, but it was awful dark, without the usual Red or Mahogany tint.
Glad to hear that !!

Bear

I was hoping for that outcome, but it was awful dark, without the usual Red or Mahogany tint.
Glad to hear that !!

Bear

John, I literally owe it all to you and AMNPS. Without the two of you I never would have been able to do it. I’d have had to find a different recipe.

Looks great. I learned from the Bear also. So you think the pellets is what made the meat dark?

Really happy it worked out for you . This was the first thing I cured and smoked using Bear's knowledge . I like it sliced about a 1/2 " , and just heated up for breakfast , or thin sliced for eating cold . It's addicting .

I sliced it rather thin. I wish that I would have done half of it thicker now. It’ll still be awesome with some eggs. My son wants to make some Eggs Benedict this weekend with it.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky