Camping and Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

new vision

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
South Central Iowa
Our family enjoys spending the weekends and vacation during warm weather going to the campground in our fifth wheel. I was wondering if anyone takes their smoker with them to the campgrounds. I'm wanting to get some ideas on where to store my smoker in the fiver.

Yes I do, I enjoy cooking with the slow pace while camping. One of my favorite things is to sit out by the smoker while folks go by asking "what smells so good" as they walk past. I also use my smoker as a large oven to cook beans,stews and such with a dutch oven inside. My set-up is odd because of the bus but I have a spot in the back that I added a couple of anchors for tie-downs most of the extras fit inside. I do have a camping only ECB so it stays ready to go all the time. Wouldn't have it any other way, I camp alot, 62 nights last season, so I want to keep things ready to go at all times.

Wow! Never thought of taking the smoker camping. Sounds like a good way to have some q done after a day of fishing or 4x4 ing. I f I had a fiver, and I will soon, I would put my GOSM in the bed of the truck along the tailgate or something. A smoker left inside a camper could do some damage or just leave a mess and a smell..

You betcha. GOSM goes camping as much as we do. Drives the neighbors bonkers smelling all the good odors wafting across the campground while they're trying to keep the smores on their sticks.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Now we're in the market for a new trailer or 5'ver and the driving consideration is where to put the smoking equipment. A toy hauler would really be a boon to the effort.

Taking the smoker camping is priority number one for us. We dont have much room in the Pop-Up, so I put my smoker in the back of the Suburban, and it does take up alot of room. Now I just throw clothes bags and light stuff in a weather proof roof top carrier .... I know we look like the Clampetts going down the road. But once we are set up, I'd say we eat just as good (if not better) than most around us. We have got quite a few folks that come up and ask about the cooker & dutch oven set ups. There are lots of great folks out there camping! Here is a pic of my cookers 'water front view' just outside of Ocean City, MD last summer.

Thin Blue Smoke dancing around the ribs

Yepper...Chargriller goes in the bed of the truck first and then everything else...then hook onto the popup and off for the weekend. I want to get a little larger travel trailer...but for now this weill do.

I normally camp next to a river which has a lot of canoeing (or mainly cabrewing!) all summer. I love setting next to the river tending fire and bantering with the canoers! Its great. Lots of questions as th whats cooking when the wind is right. Get up early and start the fire and hammer a beer to take the edge off the night before...take quick nap...back up and on goes the fatty and down goes another beer...take a quick nap...by this time usually someone else camping with us will wake up and then I'll get up for the day. Eggs go on while fattys are finishing up and then we'll eat a huge breakfast and drink Bloody Mary's. Maybe one more nap before dinner goes into the smoke because it will be a long day...its usually only 11 by now; you know?

I rarely do a brisket while camping because the combination of copious amount of booze too early in the day and being in the heat and sun all day really take a toll...mainly fattys ABTs, ribs, small chuckies and butts.

Im ready for spring.

There is nothing better than sitting around at the lake and campground and having the smell of smoke going and having all the neighbors drool over your Q. I can't wait for summer. I just need to get a camper and I will really be rolling.

I talked my parents into taking their smoker up to their river lot 2 summers ago. They had never used it, so I seasoned it and then proceeded to smoke 2 butts for my own party! Pulled an all nighter and it was great to watch all the drunks walk by going back to their own lots asking what smelled so good. Me being a little tipsy myself, invited a few of them over to partake in some beverages and have the opportunity to take a look when I had to spritz them down. The next day when the party started, a few unexpected guests showed up from the night before.

My parents left it up there the whole summer to use it, but it never got used again. In fact, it hasn't been used since! Guess I gotta train them parents up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky