Calculating correct burner size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
I'm planning to build an insulated vertical smoker (not reverse flow) about 22X20X48. I want to use gas and trying to find information on matching the burner to the size of the smoker. An internet search comes up with lots of information on calculating required BTUs for homes but couldn't find any on smokers. Any information would be appreciated.

If you get a low pressure regulator with a needle valve to minutely adjust the propane flow is a good start....
Size and style of the burner...

This burner, From Northern Tool, has 3 separate burners to adjust... It should cover all your needs....

1607543915273.png

You will probably only use the smallest burner and need to adjust the gas flow to get it low enough...
Think about installing it under the smoker and have a pipe for the heat to travel through...
I would use the Amazing pellet smoke generator for making smoke... It would go inside the smoker.... The 5X9... get some pellets...
Hickory, Oak, pitmasters choice, apple, alder for fish... Get the big bags, a much better price + if you order now, there's a 25% discount...

Last edited:
Reactions: Quicker with liquor
If you get a low pressure regulator with a needle valve to minutely adjust the propane flow is a good start....
Size and style of the burner...

This burner, From Northern Tool, has 3 separate burners to adjust... It should cover all your needs....

View attachment 474487

You will probably only use the smallest burner and need to adjust the gas flow to get it low enough...
Think about installing it under the smoker and have a pipe for the heat to travel through...
I would use the Amazing pellet smoke generator for making smoke... It would go inside the smoker.... The 5X9... get some pellets...
Hickory, Oak, pitmasters choice, apple, alder for fish... Get the big bags, a much better price + if you order now, there's a 25% discount...

Thanks Dave. I looked really hard at your drawings for the reverse flow smoker. Can you do jerky in a reverse flow?

If you build it correctly, yes... Hell, woodyg is smoking cheese in his....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky