Butt & Brisket Questions... Q-VIEW Now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

osbjdawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Meadville, PA
Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my smoking today.  Not sure whats going on.  Here's my story:

I have an 8# butt that i put on at 7am this morning. @ 11:00 I checked the temp and it was around 170*.  That sound high for only 4 hours.  smoker has been running around 225* to 245* ( having a hard time keeping at 225*).  I checked my probe in boiling water it read 210*, so it's close.  I have it in a foil pan wrapped in foil now.  Also same prob with the brisket ( flat was at 153*, point was 165*, it is close the the SFB on my smoker).

I'm using a Chargriller w/ a SFB.

I've done them before and it took a lot lot longer to reach those temps.  Any ideas on whats wrong?

I'm just gonna keep going till the butt get to 200* and the brisket passes the toothpick test.

Thanks for the help.

I'll have pics. later

Last edited:
Could be the baraometric pressure, humidity, less or more fat content in the meat or just your lucky day!  Not sure that you have anything wrong, especially since your therm checked ok, that would have been my first question..  You will probably hit the stall on both soon and that will extend your smoke time a bit, otherwise, you'll just be eating a bit early.  Just throw them in a cooler until your ready to serve, they will hold very well and be nice and hot when you are ready to eat.  You should have no problem with either of your meats with the temp range your running. 

I have the same smoker and I agree that it should take much longer than that. I was going to advise on the Butt to make sure your not hitting the bone, but when you mentioned the brisket (boneless) was also high temp for the time period, I started scratching my head. I have had butts get to 160ish in about 5 hours, then stall and continue to 180 after around 9 - 10 hours. Also check the accuracy of your smoker gauges...just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.

BCH

Thanks guys.  I checked them again and there up a Little but not to much.  Just gonna let them go till they hit the temps, then gonna toss them in a cooler till we're ready.

I'm like  BCH, I was thinking the probe might be in a fat pocket on the butt.  Not sure about the brisket though, unless it is from being closer to the SFB. Can't wait for the pics!

Mike

WOW!!!! I though that is was a bad day but i was wrong!!  First time I've had those problems and got a little nervous.  Thanks for reading my post and the input from you guys.

So here we go with the Q-View.

(Pics are a little out of order, and sorry I to tired to put them in order, but you'll see it's all here.)

This is "Mr.Smoky".  That's what I like to call her.

Pork Butt after the bone was pulled out.

Same pic with the bone I got.

Pulled.. that is an understatement..  just twisted the tongs and it shredded itself.

Finished Brisket.

Point & Flat separated.

Ready for burnt ends..  (Highlight of the night!!!!!)

Forgot to say... Downpour for about an hour.

Sliced Brisket.

Close up!

Another shot.  Good smoke ring I think.

The Brisket.

Brisket again.  Only posted this in the pork section cuz thats where I thought my problem was, and to lazy now to make another thread.

Again..

Rubbed and ready.

PORK BUTT TIME. it was cut in two and weighed as one. 8# each give or take.

Ready for the smoker.

Thanks for all the help from everyone on this site!!  I have learned a lot and I love that I can ask questions and people will help any way they can.

O.K. I'm full of pork and brisket...so I'm going to bed.

God Bless,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, everything looks really really awesome!!!

So how long did it end up going?

Hi Dave,  It was about 7/8/9 hours.  It went on @ 7am and @ 2pm I let the fire burn out and about 3pm I put it in a cooler for about an hour (4pm).  So I'd say 7 smoking, 8 mellowing out, & 9 hr resting.  of all the smoking .... this was the best I've done.

Wow! that was really fast but from the pics it all looks really great! Just goes to show these things have a mind of their own! So for all who ask "how long" you can see you can never really tell!

Great job and Congratulations on an awesome smoke!!! Just wish we could figure out why it cooked so fast, it would save us all a lot of fuel in the future, but we just have to live with what we have and looks like you are living Good!

The end result is what's important and you achieved success! Based on the amount of time the cook took, I would venture a guess that you were spending a lot more time at 245*F than at 225*F. At the higher temp the fast rise in temps is not unreasonable...JJ

Well from the looks of it the end result was excellent.

Great smoke ring on that Brisket too.

The PP looked very nice. Love it when the bone pulls that clean.

Great job. End results are what makes the cook!!

Mike

First off GREAT LOOKING FOOD!!!!!!!!

Don't stress when things are going faster. Make sure your food temps are doing what they should and your temp taking devices are working. The rest is relax time, just chill and let the smoke do its work. There are too many other things that can effect your smoke that you do not have control of like weather and the meat marbling are just 2 very high level factors.

Your food looked great. I am still wanting to do a brisket with burnt ends. Not a pro at the brisket yet!!!

WOW!!!! Great job !!
Bark looks great , nice smoke ring on the brisket Thumbs Up

Last edited:
Well done and everything looks great,

I agree the end result is what counts, however I would want to know why they were done so quickly. For this reason I always suggest photos and note taking such as you have done.

There is never  going to be an exact science to this type of cooking, by that I mean there are so many variables to each cook, weather temps, meat, placement of the meat, what is in your smoker, humidity etc...

Sounds like you got 52 minutes a pound on the Butt, the only way I have ever gotten close was at 60 minutes per/lb was at 275°

I would have to agree with Jimmy but would venture to say the temps were even higher than 245°

Was the meat taken directly from refrigerator to smoker?

Everything looks good, the way these things work your next smoke will probably take longer than it should! Lol, great job!
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky