Butchering my first belly...is it me? My knives? both?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just jumped on line and looked at sets. The Victorinox Pro Ultimate Competition BBQ set with knife roll might work for you. 3" paring knife,6" boning knife, 8" chef's knife, 8" breaking knife, 10" granton slicer, 9" butcher steel, and a knife roll.
These knives really hold a good edge. The whole set is $129 My grandmother had a bakery back in the day, and would only use R H Forschner knives.As I understand it, the brand became Victorinox.
The knife roll is nice. I keep my knives separate from the ones my wife uses. Mine don't go in the dishwasher, don't pry lids open, and don't get used as a screwdriver if a pot handle gets a little loose. =)
I like this set, do most of you sharpen with a stone or is there an idiot proof sharpener to keep the 15 degree angle that does not cost as much as the set of knives do?

I use a Work Sharp "Ken Onion Edition" Knife/Tool Sharpener.
I have several other sharpening systems, but the Work Sharp is the one that gets'em the sharpest the easiest and quickest.
And you can dial in whatever angle you prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jac63
I use a Work Sharp "Ken Onion edition" Knife/Tool Sharpener.
I have several other sharpening systems, but the Work Sharp is the one that gets'em the sharpest the easiest and quickest.
OK, any particular model? I see them from $40 to $340?

Here is a great tutorial on skinning a belly, notice he is using a curved knife so the point won't break the skin.

Hoe this helps!
Al

I use a Work Sharp "Ken Onion Edition" Knife/Tool Sharpener.

Wholeheartedly agree! I can get my knifes sharper with a set of stones but it will take 10x as long. Far easier and quicker with the work sharp and if I have to sharpen slightly more frequently, oh well.

To the OP, if you pop for the Ken Onion Worksharp, go a little further and get the blade sharpening attachment. It's a great addition, and in my experience, gives a much more even sharpening. Even more adjustable than just the K/O sharpener by itself

You can easily spend $100 or more on stones which makes it easy to justify the cost of a decent electric sharpener.

On the other hand, I actually enjoy spending time sharpening stuff by hand. It is kind of a Zen thing. I also maintain a small collection of straight razors, which require a completely different technique.

Work Sharp "Ken Onion Edition" Knife/Tool Sharpener.

Which 'Work Sharp' product and where, are you seeing that cost $340.?
The Ken Onion Edition goes for $99. on sale, and up to $150. regular retail.
yeah, I was looking at work sharp in general...some others go for more the KO edition is now $126 - thanks

You can easily spend $100 or more on stones which makes it easy to justify the cost of a decent electric sharpener.

On the other hand, I actually enjoy spending time sharpening stuff by hand. It is kind of a Zen thing. I also maintain a small collection of straight razors, which require a completely different technique.
Yeah I have some diamond stones in my ski sharpening kit that can get costly. Like everything else I do, the used $30 electric smoker I bought on a whim will end up being the cheapest part of this new fun hobby.

Reactions: jcam222
I bought good knives 30+ years ago when I was in culinary school and they have lasted me ever since. The school got a good deal on them but my set was still about $200 back then.

Great knives but they have the unfortunate brand name of "F Dick".

Years of teasing in the kitchens due to that.

Never skimp on knives. I have a full set of Henckles classic/four stars. I like them better than the Wustoffs. It is a personal preference, both are excellent. For my boning and fillet knives I only use Dexter Russell. They are cheaper than the black handles and far superior. Also in usually end up giving mine away when I am at someones house and they see how great they are. I keep a Chefchoice three wheel electric sharpener for sharpening. I use a steel for honing every time I touch a knife.

There is a huge difference between honing and sharpening.... dont use a diamond “sharpener”. They destroy blades

Hope this helps

I bought good knives 30+ years ago when I was in culinary school and they have lasted me ever since. The school got a good deal on them but my set was still about $200 back then.

Great knives but they have the unfortunate brand name of "F Dick".

Years of teasing in the kitchens due to that.
F Dick knives??? I have to get one of those now, my wife will think they are monogrammed for me and no, my initials are JC LOL

Reactions: Z-Corn and spydermn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky