Building an Offset Vertical

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My bad:  read "offset" as the burner being offset within the vertical.  I'd still cover it once you've got the sticks ablaze.  One other question:  these types of burners usually have an adjustable vent on the neck--where you have it going through the vertical wall.  Will you still have access to it?

Yes

Great looking Build. Points to you!

I just picked up an old fridge and will be adding an offset fire box to it. Looks like it will be close to the same size.  How is the heat distribution from side to side and top to bottom in the cooking chamber?  Did you add a baffle/plate as your original plans show. Also wondering if that is all open space in the cook chamger directly to the left of your Fire box and is that much open space need?

Great looking Build. Points to you!

I just picked up an old fridge and will be adding an offset fire box to it. Looks like it will be close to the same size.  How is the heat distribution from side to side and top to bottom in the cooking chamber?  Did you add a baffle/plate as your original plans show. Also wondering if that is all open space in the cook chamger directly to the left of your Fire box and is that much open space need?
The firebox side is hotter, but not a ton.  I think this would not have been an issue if I would have insulated the firebox.  A lot of heat is transferred to the steel. Tot to bottom heat difference is only about 10 degrees.

The only plates I am currently using are the deflector at about a 45 degree angle, and another horizontal plate that extends about 6" from the diagonal plate about 4" from the bottom of the smoking chamber.  The only reason for this is to make sure no flames from the firebox enter the smoking chamber.

There is only about 10" of open space under the first grate.  I'm not sure if that much is necessary, but I did want some separation between where the heat is coming into the smoking chamber.  I might have been able to get away with less, but I still have over 3,400 sq in of cooking space, and I didn't want to get too greedy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky