Building A Reverse Flow Clone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crossczek

Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
South of Ann Arbor, MI
Hi all,
I am experienced in the smoking arts but am trying to make it to the next level. I'm new to the forum but I've been reading a ton about reverse flow smokers and have had a lot of my questions answered by reading through past threads. But, I still have a a couple of specifics that either weren't answered or I'm still not clear on. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll start with what I've got.
Working on-site to build a new automotive plant I was able to acquire a steel cylinder about 36" in diameter by about 6 foot long, about 1/4" thick.
With some patience and Craig's list I was able to get a bare bones steel frame trailer. I've got a family member that owns a steel fab business and is willing to donate scrap steel and an experienced welder to help me get this thing smoking, if I cook the meat for his company picnic. (There's a no-brainer!)

Now for what I'm doing (or am thinking about doing).
I'm putting the fire box low to one side (obviously). How big should the opening be between the fire box and the cooking chamber? Any recommendations on the size of the fire box? I was thinking 24" square with 1/8" thick material.
There seems to be a pretty varied opinion about hot spots and even cooking temps through the length of the chamber. Some recommend elevating the low end of the baffle (with the drain tube) so the heat flows more evenly during the smoke, while others swear by the usefulness of the hot spots. I plan on making mine level with the chamber so I can tilt it one way or the other depending on whether I'm cooking on it or cleaning it, or if I want hot spots or not. Thoughts/comments?
I was thinking that the baffle should be about 1/4" thick to really hold and dissipate the heat evenly. Suggestions?
How close should the baffle be to the open end, opposite the fire box - I was going to leave about 6" open.
I've seen and read where some chimneys are flush with the top of the cooking chamber while others go right down to just above the cooking grate. I think I'm going to have mine come down to the cooking grate to allow the chamber to fill with smoke before it gets pushed out. Thoughts?
Finally, one door or two? One would allow for half/whole hogs to be done but would really dump the heat when opened. Two would be more convenient but eliminates the ability to go whole hog. Decisions, decisions...

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I think I can get all my questions answered with all the great experience in this forum.
FYI - I've never seen a reverse flow in person, let alone an authentic Lang.

Thanks in advance to all, and I will post pic's as the project develops.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky