Brothier Broth/stock ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll have to check out that roasted garlic base.
Since you suggested Minor's , I bet I've gone through at least 6 tubs of the garlic . We use it on a lot of things . Greens beans , mashed potatoes you name it .
cheating on Minors a bit and buying the GFS Signature equivalent at times.
I'd be surprised if those aren't made by Minor's . I always compare packaging and ingredients on store brand stuff . Gives you a good idea who makes it .

I use a good powdered base because fridge space gets tight , and I can keep it in the pantry .

1692883112879.png

Reactions: jcam222
As the guys are suggesting, I'm also on the side of using Better than Bullion Beef flavor. They have a reduced sodium version as well.
Also you could use a good beef bullion and water as well.

I almost never buy stocks and opt for using bullion or better than bullion products. I'm a HUGE fan of Knorr brand bullion, though it may have MSG in it, can't remember. It's by far the best brand of bullion I've ever tasted.
I have a tub (yes a tub) of each the Knorr brand Chicken, Tomato+Chicken, and Beef bullion in my spice pantry and poured into 1 pound shakers. That is how much I use it in any variety of dishes at a salt substitute with way more flavor.

I hope this info helps

Since you suggested Minor's , I bet I've gone through at least 6 tubs of the garlic . We use it on a lot of things . Greens beans , mashed potatoes you name it .

I'd be surprised if those aren't made by Minor's . I always compare packaging and ingredients on store brand stuff . Gives you a good idea who makes it .

I use a good powdered base because fridge space gets tight , and I can keep it in the pantry .

View attachment 674367
I just bought the beef one today. Do you use it according to their instructions? Or bump it up?

I just bought the beef one today. Do you use it according to their instructions? Or bump it up?
I'll tend to bump it a bit . Just depends on what I'm doing . It's good as directed though .
I also like to add it to unsalted stock . Great flavor .

Reactions: Steve H
I'll tend to bump it a bit . Just depends on what I'm doing . It's good as directed though .
I also like to add it to unsalted stock . Great flavor .
I added a couple tsp to the gravy I'm making for tonight's taters with meatloaf. Should be tasty!

Looks good to me .
What did you think about the beef base ?
It's a good add in unsalted beef ( or chicken ) store bought stock . Along with the Minors roasted garlic .

Looks good to me .
What did you think about the beef base ?
It's a good add in unsalted beef ( or chicken ) store bought stock . Along with the Minors roasted garlic .
It's pretty good. It definitely woke up my usual gravy method. The sodium level is up there. So, with unsalted beef. You should be fine. Recipes should be adjusted because of this.

It's REALLY hard to make stock at home taste better than store BUT store bought lacks the depth and mouthfeel of homemade (via gelatin). Stock is a breeze to make in the IP. I like using both and prefer boullion over bases. I have tried BTB and they're tasty (especially the garlic) but fall short for me on plain old chicken and beef. Best bases to me were the Low Sodium versions and like the Knorr line. If one were dead set to perfect this recipe, you ideally would use smoked brisket to make stock with and use that for this.

Reactions: tallbm
I'm in the no sauce of any kind camp.
They are good because 1 they come off the point end and 2 they are covered in crazy good bark.
Leave my burnt ends alone!

That Shrimp Granulated Bouillon is so good I don't see the point in making your own.
I never buy it but I need to hunt some down and make some shrimp, lobster, and poblano soup!!! Also with a squeeze of lime in it :D

Adding Knorr beef bullion or better than bullion to it instead of salt.
Yup . I use it as the salt in a dish . I saw someone on a cooking show the other day that was frying chicken . They put powdered chicken base in the dredge for the chicken .
I'll be trying that one .

Reactions: zwiller
I posted this video a little while ago in one of the posts around here.
I will post it here also:

Yep, that is a major secret of my meatloaf. Adding Knorr beef bullion or better than bullion to it instead of salt. Mmmmmm good! :D
Went through a bullion phase last winter. Honestly, always thought the cubes were inferior but NOT anymore. Other way around. Pretty much done using salt...

Yup . I use it as the salt in a dish . I saw someone on a cooking show the other day that was frying chicken . They put powdered chicken base in the dredge for the chicken .
I'll be trying that one .
Been using it for dry brining and it's awesome. Kinda of an old school flavor I like.

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky