Brothier Broth/stock ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Hey Y'all,
After my last batch of burnt ends, which had beautiful texture and taste, except the BBQ sauce. I'm thinking of going against the scripture and trying the next batch Without all the sweet. I'm just imagining how great those meat chunks would be if the last stage,(smothered in the aluminum pan) If I just used a stout broth or stock and 86'd the brown sugar and bbq sauce. Problen is, most store bought broth is just plain weak in my opinion.
I always have a can or carton when cooking beef, either to do a quick injection, or for a spritz bottle. I've tried canned and carton from Publix or that college brand. I'm almost thinking of buying a pouch of the prime rib au'jus and putting some of that in the broth or stock. Unless somebody has a better suggestion.
FWIW the Warden loves the BBQ style.
thanks
john

I'm just imagining how great those meat chunks would be if the last stage,(smothered in the aluminum pan) If I just used a stout broth or stock and 86'd the brown sugar and bbq sauce.
I'm 100% on your side with this idea. I've never made burnt ends due to everything I've read being a sweet BBQ sauce, which just isn't my bag. I'm with you also on the weak broth that's on the market. When doing a brisket I make a sauce using beef broth, Heinz beef gravy, bourbon, and spices. You used the word "stout" and I'm thinking a rich, bold beer like an Imperial Stout would go really well with this ILO the bourbon and it'd be perfect with the beef. Just tossing out an idea that works well for me using stuff that's easily available and tweaking it to work.

Robert

What about better than bullion and just use more of it?
Excellent suggestion Cliff. I love the BTB products and use them a lot. My only takeaway is that you have to be careful using them. If you overdo it, they can bring a LOT of saltiness. All of their flavors....at least the ones I've used, are like this.

Robert

Burnt ends are probably my favorite. I'm not sure I've ever added brown sugar so I know it can be skipped. You could always go with a more TX vinegar based sauce. Someone here did a Carolina sauce I believe. Or maybe a Bear & Burton's W sauce. I'd eat any type of burnt ends, even plain. My kids are not a fan of BBQ sauce...yet.

Burnt ends are probably my favorite. I'm not sure I've ever added brown sugar so I know it can be skipped. You could always go with a more TX vinegar based sauce. Someone here did a Carolina sauce I believe. Or maybe a Bear & Burton's W sauce. I'd eat any type of burnt ends, even plain. My kids are not a fan of BBQ sauce...yet.
I've always got a squeeze bottle of homemade carolina in the frig. I might try brewing a up broth with BTB as suggested. Mama sys they have it at the store.

Does that have MSG?
IMG_20230823_164407378_HDR.jpg

Use bouillon not broth added to liquid. Then add no more than the bouillon amount as sugar so you get a balanced cook. Sugar should be no more that the salt amount, but I like it about half the salt amount. Play with it and find your happy place for flavor.

Reactions: tallbm
I use Better than Bullion all the time. My best briskets are injected with BtB broth. I rub it directly on the brisket, I use NO salt just BtB. To the mix I'll add fine black and white pepper, garlic. I'll pepper the outside, maybe dehydrated onion and garlic.
They have a few different choices at Better than Bullion

RG

Reactions: tallbm and jcam222
I use 2 cans of reduced sodium beef broth. And add a couple teaspoons of BTB in it. Then simmer to reduce to the consistency you wish. I have also added a corn starch slurry to it for gravy for beef sliders to dip in.
Like Steve said, but I go even a step further. I reduce my stock down by 3/4s to 1/2 depending on what I am using for.
I get fresh beef marrow bones by the garbage bag full from a local butcher shop that I frequently buy from. I make 5 gallons of stock and reduce it down to the taste and consistency that I am looking for. I add carrots, celery, onion, parsley, one bay leaf and one bulb of garlic to my stock.

I freeze it in 1 QT ziplock bags until I need it.

I drink hot stock while fishing and hunting in the winter like coffee. When I run out, I always have a tub of Minors Demi glaze paste which is damn good.

I use Lipton soup mixes . Savory herb or onion mushroom , and Minors roasted garlic base . Mix it up , then reduce by half .
I'll have to check out that roasted garlic base. I have been cheating on Minors a bit and buying the GFS Signature equivalent at times.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky