Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Trey4u

Original poster
Aug 14, 2023
I've always wanted a smoker and finally have one. I want to smoke a brisket but it's just me and my wife and a whole brisket would be too much at one time. Can I cut one in half, or thirds, freeze some and smoke a smaller piece or will this just let juice run out?

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Kentucky.

I know what you mean about too much at one time and often just do smallish pieces of flat (a little tricky keeping them from being too dry, but it can be done). If I had a whole packer, I'd trim and smoke it and vac seal the left overs.

Ditto to what JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 said.
Only two of us, and I do the whole brisket, pork shoulder, turkey, etc.
Vacuum seal into amounts for a meal or two and freeze.
Quick meals that way.

Hey T Trey4u If you can get them, get a tri tip and smoke it brisket style. Or, check your grocery....they may have the flats you can do. Would be a perfect size for your wife and you with a little left over.

Jim

Reactions: Retired Spook
Smoke it whole. Then vac seal the leftovers in packages that make sense for a meal and enjoy later. Super easy to warm up and the heavy lift is done. But my advice is to always cook the brisket whole, just cooks better.

☝️
What they said above. It's just my wife, 9yr old son and myself. I vac seal everything. Reheat (vac sealed bags) in hot water bath or sous vide about 150*. I'll go direct from -10f freezer to s/v bath. 30 mins and dinners ready.
Absolutely true.

Either do the brisket and as others have said vacuum seal what's left into meal sized packages for the two of you.
Why don't you try smoking a chuck roast do it just like you would a brisket it's a whole lot smaller so you won't have as many leftovers

Reactions: DougE
Welcome from Kentucky.

I know what you mean about too much at one time and often just do smallish pieces of flat (a little tricky keeping them from being too dry, but it can be done). If I had a whole packer, I'd trim and smoke it and vac seal the left overs.
I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and the smoking area is approx. 20" x 20". There are three racks to use so I still need to know if I can cut a large brisket into smaller pieces. (Edited to add: I found that I can cut the brisket into two parts, the flat and point. I think I'll do that)

Last edited:
Welcome from Kentucky.

I did a cook onetime and overestimated how much I would need. I vac sealed a whole brisket, froze it, and when I got ready to eat it, I just pulled it out put it on a cookie pan, covered the top with cubes of butter and reheated at 250 degrees for 3 hours it was incredible. Now I just wrap, vac seal and freeze the leftovers that are more than we will eat in a week. When we are ready for it I defrost and reheat. Its still incredible. I would not cut it before you cook, unless you just separate the point from the flat, I would think you just cut it you would risk it drying out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky