Brisket Trim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Saved from the brisket i ground the other day.

Rendering down for some tallow.
btr.jpg

btr1.jpg

Nice Job, Rick!!
So you're making candles now??
Venison fat works better. I used just scrape the tallow off the roof of my mouth, after eating some Venison Roast.
LOL.

Bear

Interesting concept...just read up on tallow, making it etc. I think I may give this a try. I am due for two briskets; one for burger and one to smoke. should get a haul of fat off two.

thanks for posting and stimulating my curiosity.

Going to be making some pemmican with it.
You need to add about 1/2 cup water to the fat, keeps from burning and crockpot on low.

I have to try this. I love tallow and keep most of my trim and use it for searing stuff. Many people are unaware tallow is the signature flavor of McDonalds. They don't it anymore but use modern oil with added tallow flavor.

Nice. I render all my beef fat and use the tallow for deep frying and soap. Tallow makes great soap when blended with other fats. And you can't beat potatoes fried in tallow.

Only got a slab 1/2" thick. Take the gelatin formed off the back of the tallow.
wtal.jpg

BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker I made some tallow yesterday with my brisket trimmings. after I filtered out the chunks it was not clear. More of a tan murky color in the jar. it solidified to a yellowish color. is that within the realm of "normal?

here is what i did. I picked out the trimming that was more hard fat, white "clean" I didn't use the oxidized or "mushy" fats from under the flat. ran it through my grinder, simmered on low for about 5 hours and strained with cheese cloth. is that about the right path? Or was there a misstep that caused the cloudiness? I read the color can range from white to shades of yellow - but all the internet pics (and your) are very white.

thanks for you take!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky