How long is refrigerated unrendered beef fat good if vac sealed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Had a little bit of a brain fart and forgot about some fat trimmings in the refrigerator, now I'm wondering of they are still any good.

So this was about 3 pounds of fat trimmed off about an 18 pound brisket. I had the intention of rendering this down to tallow at a later date so I ran it through the fine plate on my grinder, then vac sealed. Where I clearly lost the plot is a put it in a drawer in my spare refrigerator in the garage... and promptly forgot about it until now. It's just over a month old, and was ground and vac sealed on 9/22/23.

I know rendered tallow will hold in a refrigerator for something like a year is what I've always heard, but this is unrendered. I'm pretty sure it's toast at this point, but figured I'd ask before I throw it out.

Thoughts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky