Brisket situation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buck bob

Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
Southern Michigan
I threw a 12lb brisket on the smoker at 5pm today right before coming into work figuring it would be pretty close to done when I returned home from work at 5am tomorrow. I just checked the temp probes from my phone and the brisket is at 151° but my smoker has turned off for whatever reason, I won't be home for another 7-7.5 hours am I screwed? There's no way I can get it restarted so it'll sit all night as is.

• Sad
Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Do you have a neighbor that can stop over and pop it in either the oven or fridge for you?

I am not a big fan of leaving a smoker unattended. I would want to be home so I could attend to the alarm of the temps. It could be high temp and cause a fire or low temp and spoiled meat. I am not sure if your brisket will be ok or not if it was me I would throw the meat out when I get home if the smoker could not be restarted. Sorry don't mean to be negative just my 2 cents. I am sure other members will chime in if the meat is ok or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: buck bob
Tell your boss you have an emergency at home.
Drive like you stole it to beat the 40 to 140 in 4 hours rule.

It will be fine. 151°F is plenty hot enough to kill bacteria inside and out. The sterile surface is Dry, has bacteria inhibiting Salt on it and the surface temp of the meat, the grate and smoker surface got to whatever the smoker temp was. The meat is Sterile in a Sterile Box, in freezing cold Michigan. Its Safer than your Refer!!!. ZERO to worry about...JJ

It will be fine. 151°F is plenty hot enough to kill bacteria inside and out. The sterile surface is Dry, has bacteria inhibiting Salt on it and the surface temp of the meat, the grate and smoker surface got to whatever the smoker temp was. The meat is Sterile in a Sterile Box, in freezing cold Michigan. Its Safer than your Refer!!!. ZERO to worry about...JJ

Ha!
I didn't see that it had hit 151 IT already.
Damn, I must be slipping in my old age. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Tell your boss you have an emergency at home.
Drive like you stole it to beat the 40 to 140 in 4 hours rule.

Don't forget my Friend, this Rule ONLY applies to Ground, Injected, Boned-Rolled and Tied meat and Heavily Punctured meat. An Intact Brisket or any hunk of meat, only has Surface Bacteria and that is killed quickly in a Smoker or Oven at 225+...JJ

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
You're absolutely correct.
It was misreading on my part.
With that an IT of 151, we know the surface cooties where hasta la vista long before that.
Time to get my eyes and brain checked.

Reactions: ozzz
That's good to know glad it is not spoiled.

Hmm... not certain I would leave a smoker to fend for itself over an extended period of time. You might have dodged a bullet, but still...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky