BRisket help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
While the briskets are quite tasty, they are chewy. I shouldn't need a knife and fork to eat brisket.

I've used the 1.5 hours per pound and seeing another article that this is a rough guide only, that it depends on the thickness of the meat.
I run at 250F and internal temperature runs from 165 to 190 with same result.
Several questions:
Where we buy brisket it looks like fat cap gets removed.
I do not put it in a pan but do have liquid in the water pan.
I'm slicing it by hand. Would it make a difference using am meat slicer.
Help please!

Attachments

• 100_2473.jpg
    100_2473.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210627_181647.jpg
    20210627_181647.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 35
A higher internal temperature at the finish 203 to 206F is optimal.

ALWAYS go by IT and never by time.

Go to YouTube and search for Aaron Franklin Brisket... there's 3 videos... they cover trimming, cooking and slicing.

Always cut across the grain of the meat and not with it. And yes.. the grain changes from one end to the other.

Take some time and do some research on how to slice and no.. you do not need a slicer.

Cook longer. IT will be anywhere from 203-215*, BUT, probe tender is the key. When you check temp, the probe should feel like pushing into a jar of peanut butter. Then it is done regardless of the actual IT.

Go to YouTube and search for Aaron Franklin Brisket... there's 3 videos... they cover trimming, cooking and slicing.

Always cut across the grain of the meat and not with it. And yes.. the grain changes from one end to the other.

Take some time and do some research on how to slice and no.. you do not need a slicer.
THanks. I've pulled out his cookbook s well.

Reactions: kilo charlie

Charlie, I have a slicer :D

Reactions: kilo charlie
While the briskets are quite tasty, they are chewy. I shouldn't need a knife and fork to eat brisket.

I've used the 1.5 hours per pound and seeing another article that this is a rough guide only, that it depends on the thickness of the meat.
Several questions:
Help please!

Brisket is done when it is tender. You are running into the case where your brisket is tough and dry which = under cooked. Overcooked would be dry and crumbly. Your's shows no sign of crumbling.

Put the temp probe into the thickest yet center most part of the FLAT muscle, never the Point muscle. When it reads 198-200F Internal Temp (IT) check for tenderness.
Do this by stabbing all over with a kabob skewer and if it goes in ALL OVER with no resistance then it is tender and therefore done. If you find resistance anywhere then let the IT rise another 1-2F degrees and check for tenderness again. Repeat until it is tender.

Do this and your dry tough brisket issues will be solved. Deviate and you will likely continue to have less desired brisket results :)

Reactions: chopsaw
Like everyone else said higher finish temp and prove tender with a minimum hour rest when finished. My prime brisket today probed like butter everywhere at 205F.

Thanks all.

I watched the first of Aaron Franklins's videos and see first issue is amount of fat left. Where I buy them is less than whet he has.

CAn't to do brisket again.

Thanks all.

I watched the first of Aaron Franklins's videos and see first issue is amount of fat left. Where I buy them is less than whet he has.

CAn't to do brisket again.

Ah yeah you want some fat. Also if just doing a brisket flat I would highly recommend foil wrapping with a splash or 2 of some liquid (water/beer/old wine/beef broth/something) after it's stalled a good while. If you foil too early you get roast beef flavor so give it a bit. Actually I foil beef like that at 180F IT until it is tender.

But yeah, if you only get flats and they are fully trimmed of fat then that's a tough smoke.

Trimming the hard fat off is a must also, some of that fat just won't render. But everyone is right, sounds like you are undercooked a bit. Keep trying.

I've seen more than one bbq joint not trim any fat at all and the meat comes out just fine if not great.
Lots of the hard fat renders and the rest gets trimmed during slicing/serving.
Makes a decent mess in the cooker with all the fat exiting the brisket but that's another subject.

Reactions: danthebeard

Several questions:
Help please!

I cook on a Traeger Pro Series 34 and will be using hickory pellets for the entire cook. Here is what I'll be doing this weekend.
  • place on rig at 11 pm and cook at 225 degrees with the flat towards the chimney
  • check temp in the morning; looking at 165 internal (approx. 7-8 hours)
  • pull and wrap in butcher paper; use beef tarrow on paper before wrapping
  • place back on smoker, fat side up & keep temp at 225 degrees, possibly 250 depending on weather and tenderness
  • cook for several more hours and check temp; check for tenderness and pull at 203 degrees
  • blanket wrap and let rest in cooler until ready to serve
Hope this helps and Happy 4th!

I don’t do many briskets, but the temps mentioned above for IT are correct. In the few I have done the time per pound has varied dramatically…simply put…it is done when it is done. Wrapping helps to speed things. I normally wrap, if I wrap, sometime when it is in the stall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky