Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tumbleweed1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Chicago suburbs
So I was gifted a brisket (flat only) by the in-laws over the winter & last Sunday it was on. I used Mesquite for the first time & although it worked well I would probably only ever use it on beef. After just some mild trimming on the topside, I slathered it in beef boullion base & applied my rub. I got it in the smoker by 5am at 260 & wrapped at 165, as it was getting pretty dark on the outside. It cooked for about 8 hours. When I wrapped, I added a cup of beef broth as well. I pulled it at 200 & let it rest for an hour before slicing, keeping all the beautiful liquid that was in the foil for aus jus. I also did some twice-baked potatoes & beans to go with it, using apple wood for the sides. I sit here today after just finally finishing it after eating it for the last four days & am still not tired of it! The middle wasn't quite as tender as the outer parts, but with the aus jus, at least it wasn't dry. It was the first time I ever did a flat-only smoke, but I still think it was a success.

Brisket 1.jpg
Brisket 2.jpg
Brisket 1.jpg
Brisket 2.jpg
Brisket 3.jpg
potatoes.jpg
beans.jpg

Dude, that is some fine looking brisket. I am really jealous. Those potatoes and beans looked phenomenal as well. Great job. I can't wait to do my next brisket on the 4th. I found a prime packer just under 13 pounds at Sam's. I hope that mine will be at least close to what you have rendered there.

George

Reactions: tumbleweed1
Nice!

Yeah brisket is done when it probes tender by stabbing all over with a tooth pic. I usually don't start checking for tenderness until about 198-200F Internal Temp (IT). The Flat is the most stubborn part of the brisket and I bet if you took it to 203-205F it would have likely probed as tender as butter :)

Briskets teach us something all the time and I'm sure if/when you cook another one you will be ready to test for tenderness around 200F and then pull when it tells you it is ready :)

Also I LOVE Mesquite for beef. Mesquite gets a bad reputation for being strong but I believe that comes from the difficulty in producing Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) with Mesquite. I run 100% Mesquite wood pellets via the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) with my MES40 for 14-16 hours on a brisket and it comes out AMAZING!!! I have to credit the perfection of the AMNPS as those 100% Mesquite pellets burn perfectly with no fighting to get that perfect smoke.

Good smoke from 100% Mesquite on beef is to die for! :D

Nice!

Yeah brisket is done when it probes tender by stabbing all over with a tooth pic. I usually don't start checking for tenderness until about 198-200F Internal Temp (IT). The Flat is the most stubborn part of the brisket and I bet if you took it to 203-205F it would have likely probed as tender as butter :)

Briskets teach us something all the time and I'm sure if/when you cook another one you will be ready to test for tenderness around 200F and then pull when it tells you it is ready :)

Also I LOVE Mesquite for beef. Mesquite gets a bad reputation for being strong but I believe that comes from the difficulty in producing Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) with Mesquite. I run 100% Mesquite wood pellets via the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) with my MES40 for 14-16 hours on a brisket and it comes out AMAZING!!! I have to credit the perfection of the AMNPS as those 100% Mesquite pellets burn perfectly with no fighting to get that perfect smoke.

Good smoke from 100% Mesquite on beef is to die for! :D

Do you keep running the AMNPS for the entire smoke? I've heard a lot of people say that they stop doing it when the meat hits a certain temperature.

Do you keep running the AMNPS for the entire smoke? I've heard a lot of people say that they stop doing it when the meat hits a certain temperature.

I run 1 full tray of the AMNPS for my briskets that will go over 9 hours.
I'm not sure when the smoke stops but a full tray of Lumberjack 100% Mesquite is usually good for 8-12 hours of smoke. I've heard and read about meat not taking on smoke flavor after a certain temp BUT my taste buds seem to think differently so I just fill up the AMNPS for about how long it takes for the brisket or meat to cook. If the cook is over 9 hours I fill up the entire tray :)

For many faster cooks I often burn 2 rows of pellets at the same time. I do this for chicken, turkey, and ribs using a pellet mix of about 40-50% Hickory and the rest Bit Poss Competition blend (makes about a total of 65% hickory). This to me gives amazing flavor without getting too strong on the Hickory.

I do 2-4 hour smoked meatloafs of 80% pure ground venison and 20% pork back fat by burning 2 rows of about 70% pure Mesquite and 30% Alder. That comes out amazing as well! Mesquite on anything beef or beef-like is to die for!

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: Faarg
Thanks fellas for all the positive comments. I really appreciate it. Sorry it took me so long to come back, but being in the heavy construction equipment industry, this is our busy season!

So I thought I had finished eating this yesterday, but then the wife came home & hadn't eaten her portion of the last of it, which she had taken to lunch so last night I decided to make sandwiches with it. We had been to a BBQ restaurant last year in Madison, Wisconsin called That BBQ Joint, where I ordered their Chicago "Italian" Beef sandwich, where the roast beef was replaced by wonderful, chopped, smoked brisket. I haven't been able to stop thinking about how good that sandwich was. It was some of the best brisket I've ever eaten! So last night I decided to recreate it with some Hoagie buns, garlic butter & of course, cheese. It was downright heavenly!

So HERE is the last of that flat from last night.

Brisket Sandwich.jpg
Brisket Sandwich 2.jpg

That’s what’s awesome about cookin a brisket, all the different things you can do with the left overs. That sammie looks delicious

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky