Brisket Enchiladas Recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I thinking about making some brisket enchiladas. There is a grocery store called Market Street that has some ready made ones with a white sauce that are really good. Not sure what they using for the sauce but its good. Also thinking maybe some green chile? Just not real sure where to go with these. Usually use corn tortilla's but for brisket enchiladas might be better with flour.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I just did some chicken enchiladas and a wet brisket burrito .
This is before they went in the oven .
Cream of celery soup is what I used for the white sauce on chicken .
I would normally use some green sauce to , but I was out .
1676912191650.jpeg
Brisket burritos got salsa and red enchilada sauce .
1676912158641.jpeg
The white sauce was based on the Campbell's soup recipe .

Brian, I have an enchilada sauce recipe that's been posted several times but you may have missed it. Pretty easy to make and 100% legit. Very good stuff. Lemme know if you'd like me to post it for you.
flour sucks
Strongly disagree. I absolutely hate the flavor of corn tortillas. you can have every last one of them ever made as far as I'm concerned.

Robert

I'm a big fan of tortillas de maize (corn).
I can't say I never have used flour tortillas for enchiladas, but... I also can't walk on water and I'll not try using flour ever again either.
You can get away with it doing deep fried rolled tacos but I personally don't recommend it for enchiladas.

Brian, are they maybe using a white queso sauce, maybe with some green chiles added?

For beef enchiladas I like a red chile sauce better than a green.

Roast some tomatoes (2 Roma), an onion (1 med white) and three cloves of garlic in a little oil.
Toast 4 Ancho and 2 Pasilla dried chiles, then stem and seed.
Add chiles and veggies to pot, add Mexican oregano and salt, not quite cover with water and simmer 15 minutes to reconstitute chiles.
Put all this into blender an puree smooth, then run through cheesecloth or sieve to remove solids.
Now it's ready!

I'm with chilerelleno on this one. Corn tortillas and an amped up red sauce for beef.

Texas Tex-Mex usually has crema as the base for the white sauce with poultry enchiladas. You can substitute sour cream if you can't easily find crema or make your own with heavy cream and buttermilk (my favorite way). Add some sort of green chiles for a better taste.

Reactions: jcam222
Brian, are they maybe using a white queso sauce, maybe with some green chiles added?
I think you nailed it. They also sell white queso sauce which is what they are using. It is very good. To far to drive to get it but i will come up with something. Thanks bud.

Last edited:
Brian, I have an enchilada sauce recipe that's been posted several times but you may have missed it. Pretty easy to make and 100% legit. Very good stuff. Lemme know if you'd like me to post it for you.
I have it saved Robert. I also still have some red I made a while back in freezer to use. I want to try to recreate those from Market Street. John has me on the right path.

We made some enchiladas awhile back Brian, mixed the green chilis in with the meat. Now we did use flour tortillas dipped in red sauce... turned out delicious!

20221108_201743.jpg

20221108_202249.jpg

Dang, now I have a craving again! Bet they'd be great with a white queso sauce.

Ryan

Wow Ryan! Those look great. You almost have me switching gears but going to stick with the queso. I will use some green chile's. Wonder if I should mix anything else with the meat? It is pretty tender.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow Ryan! Those look great. You almost have me switching gears but going to stick with the queso. I will use some green chile's. Wonder if I should mix anything else with the meat? It is pretty tender.
Look forward to seeing yours!

Ryan

Hey BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma an easy way to make that sauce is to get some very very bland alfredo sauce in the jar and church it up with blender of green chili, a little cumin, some cilantro, onion, and a some chili powder.

Yeah it seems odd but those bland alfredo sauces are basically nothing but cream and light light amount of spices so they are easy to spin into a Tex/Mex cream sauce. I've seen this done and eaten it and it taste great and replicates the kind of sauce you describe (that I see in Tex/Mex joints).

Flour tortillas will be fine but expect them to come apart very easily, which is fine because it all kinda gets cut and chopped up as you eat it anyhow lol.
The key for me when using flour tortillas for enchiladas is to know that your sauce and veggies will produce liquid that separates making more liquid than you thank you have and that greatly adds to the detreating of the flour tortilla.

When I make the flour tortillas enchiladas I do them individually in the baking dish and keep this in mind when adding components that can produce liquid.
When making corn tortilla ones you can kind of just roll it all up and slop on all the sauce and everything else. Not the case with flour unless you just leave them flat and do a flour tortilla enchilada casserole back type thing. Same concept just no rolling and you expect it to all be mixed up as you serve and eat it.

Finally, when doing flour tortilla enchiladas I bake only long enough for the cheese to melt or I broil it sometimes. This also keeps the whole thing from becoming a mess from falling apart.

It will taste great whether it all falls apart on you or stays together and to me the flavor is what matters.
It's also easy to do 3-4 enchilada batches with different approaches to see what works best for you while using flour tortillas. Not hard to trail and error it over about 4-5 back to back meals because the taste is usually great no matter what :D

Flour tortillas are good but I gotta do corn for enchiladas at least 95% of the time. An enchilada made from flour is a burrito 👀

A little béchamel with green chili's, sour cream and some jack and white american cheese and the rest to your taste (spice wise). You can make it very queso-esq with just the items up to the cheeses without it being straight cheese. Kind of like a base for a mac n cheese sauce.

Reactions: tallbm and JLeonard
tallbm tallbm The alfredo idea just blew my mind. Now you got me spinning into a wormhole of ideas!

Jim
Yeah I thought it was odd until I saw it in action. Then it made sense with how bland most of those off the shelf alfredo's are lol.

Yeah I thought it was odd until I saw it in action. Then it made sense with how bland most of those off the shelf alfredo's are lol.
Ended up taking several left over white cheeses with some Mexican Table Cream and put some Roasted Hatch peppers in. Its in the oven. You ever try those brisket enchiladas at Market Street? When I worked down that way would pick up ready to heat dishes from their kitchen. Most of it pretty good. A few where really good. That house smoked turkey in the deli is the best turkey I ever had!

Last edited:
Ended up taking several left over white cheeses with some Mexican Table Cream and put some Roasted Hatch peppers in. Its in the oven. You ever try those brisket enchiladas at Market Street? When I worked down that way would pick up ready to heat dishes from their kitchen. Most of it pretty good. A few where really good. That house smoked turkey in the deli is the best turkey I ever had!
Never had any of their take home meals or their brisket enchiladas.
Now their deli roasted chicken is fantastic. I believe they brine their birds and that makes a world of difference. Also as you know, their seasoning is top notch.

That grocery store is soooo good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky