Brisket Do-over

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Some may remember a couple of months ago I smoked a couple of brisket flats for my neighbor who is retired Army and disabled https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/brisket.315727/. He had to go in the hospital for a couple of weeks and didn't get to eat with us that day so I told them that when he got out, I'd do it again when he could be here. I found an 8 lb. flat at Sam's and yesterday was the day so here we go...

Mostly following SmokinAl SmokinAl 's method with some guidance from DougE DougE , seasoned up with SPOG, injected with unsalted beef broth and into a pan with some more beef broth...
20220811_064749[1].jpg

Pit fired up with white oak, waiting on the smoke to clear and the temp to get up...
20220811_074055[1].jpg

As a surprise, decided to cook some short ribs, too. Seasoned them with SPOG, as well...
20220811_065531[1].jpg

After the brisket had been on for a couple of hours, the ribs joined the party. Smokin' along...
20220811_113543[1].jpg

The brisket took about 6 hours to get probe tender and reach 205℉ I.T. and was almost perfect, at least to me...
20220811_142237[1].jpg

20220811_184702[1].jpg

The ribs worried me. Last time I cooked them, they were ready in about 6 hours. Now it's getting late and the ribs had been on for about 8, but were close and it started to rain. Pulled them at 195℉ or so. Tender and juicy, just not quite there, but close enough...
20220811_190043[1].jpg

Had a hungry crowd and the natives were getting restless. I thought a revolt was imminent, so no other pictures. Served with cheesy scalloped potatoes, mixed roasted vegetables, and shredded carrot/raisin salad. Homemade peach cake for dessert.

Overall I was happy and thankful that he could be here for this do-over. Sent him home with plenty of leftovers and a big "THANKS" for his service...

Looks good. I am thinking my day off I'll do a flat like this also. And thank you for taking care of your neighbor/veteran.
Jim

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
great looking meat and a delicious sounding meal!! great job cooking for your friend and the group! nice job!!
Thank you very much. I've always got a crowd here, my zoo as I call them, and wouldn't want it any other way...
Looks good. I am thinking my day off I'll do a flat like this also. And thank you for taking care of your neighbor/veteran.
Jim
Jim, it's just a very small token of my appreciation for him and all the others who have given so much for all of us...
Looks delicious. Those beef ribs look fantastic. Sounds like you are a great neighbor
Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated...

Reactions: denny and JLeonard
Charles, the cook itself was awesome but the gesture on behalf of your neighbor and a service member is remarkable. If only there were a few million more people like you in this world.....

Robert
Robert he and all the rest have given so much for all of us, it's the least I can do and many of my zoo were here as usual. Grands running around playing, adults trying to talk, dogs all in the mix, starting to rain...it all got in the way of more pics, but it was fun...

Reactions: denny
Nicely done on all accounts Charles. That brisket looks fabulous and the bones scrumptious. I bet your neighbor really enjoyed that meal.

Point for sure
Chris

Nicely done on all accounts Charles. That brisket looks fabulous and the bones scrumptious. I bet your neighbor really enjoyed that meal.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I was thankful to be able to do this for him again and have him here to enjoy it.

Also, when I'm keeping fish for myself, I'll give them some fillets which they love to grill on their gas grill. He likes lemon pepper on his fish...

Reactions: gmc2003
Good on ya Charles, a fantastic cook and a fine gesture to your neighbor, bet he was thrilled! I never do brisket, too big and they take forever. Now brisket on a stick, whole different story, absolutely my favorite meat to smoke and eat. You got some real nice pull-back on the ribs, might have had a little tug to the bite, I'd think they were nice and juicy too. A fine piece of work Charles, maybe Lucy got a bone? RAY

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
A fine piece of work Charles, maybe Lucy got a bone?
No, not Lucy, we don't spoil our dogs...🤣 This was an 8 lb. flat and using Al's technique with some influence from Doug, it doesn't take nearly as long as a whole packer...

Thank you Ray for your kind words...

Reactions: denny
Looks fantastic! Job well done.
Thank you very much, Mark...
Great job on that cook Charles! And glad your neighbor got to enjoy this one!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, I'm glad too. He's a Vietnam vet who seems to be at the doctor or hospital more than he is home and I'm just thankful that he was home to enjoy it all. He seems to be dealing with many of the same issues as Bearcarver Bearcarver I will do this again for him...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky