Brisket Cut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HHYak

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
I have had my Pit Boss pooper for about a month now with a few successful cooks under my belt, couple ribs (thanks Al), couple fish, one pork butt (thanks meowey), and they have all turned out pretty good. I have decided to pull the trigger on a brisket for a special day on Saturday.

I haven't had much time to do my research on briskets like I have my other cooks, and there is so much information/knowledge on this site its unreal. I am not sure that I want to go for a full brisket on my first go around. Partially because I don't want to be tied to my grill for 24 hours and I don't have the trust to walk away for the day or let it run while I sleep. Doing some research I found out there are a few different cuts of brisket and I was wondering if ya'll recommended going for a flat or a point on the first go around. Or do I need to just suck it up and go big?

I'd go with a full packer. Shouldn't be anywhere near 24 hours. I do mine in the pellet grill unwrapped for the entire time, run at 180 for 6 hours, then to 225 till done - usually another 6 hours. That's for a brisket in the range of 14-16 lbs trimmed. You could go hot and fast and be done in 5-6 hours, but pellet grill don't put out much smoke at those temps.

Reactions: sandyut and HHYak
Unless you have brisket experience, a whole packer is the best way to go. Remember the probe test is the most reliable way to tell when they are done. The point will likely probe tender before the flat does, so be patient and don't pull until the probe slides the flat like going in warm butter.
Unless you you have a pellet tube like the Amaz-N, you will not get much smoke flavor. I love to catch the drippings for Au Jus or gravy, so when it reaches about 160° IT, I place a small rack in a disposable aluminum pan, add some beef base and brewed coffee, cover and cook. I generally run my pellet grill at 250-260° and if in a hurry, cook at 280°
Good luck, and don't forget the Q view!

Reactions: HHYak
Thanks for the feedback, some good nuggets in there! Looks like a full/whole packer is the way to go. That also ups the price a bit, so not sure if I can swing it or not, but if I do Ill post some pics up.

Also agree, go with a full packer if it's your first attempt. If you don't already have an auxillary pellet tray for additional smoke (A-MAZE-N) probably too late to pick one up. If that's the case, you can somewhat compensate by putting the brisket on, then start the smoker on low (180-200º) and run that way for 3-4 hours. This will provide as much smoke your unit can. After that crank it up. I usually run around 275º.

Yah, I think its too late for an A-MAZE-N. However, the Pit Boss has what they call a "P" setting that you can use to increase or decrease smoke. Sounds like this might be a good time to mess with it. From what I read you cant really oversmoke a brisket.

I'd go with a full packer. Shouldn't be anywhere near 24 hours. I do mine in the pellet grill unwrapped for the entire time, run at 180 for 6 hours, then to 225 till done - usually another 6 hours. That's for a brisket in the range of 14-16 lbs trimmed. You could go hot and fast and be done in 5-6 hours, but pellet grill don't put out much smoke at those temps.
I would agree with this basic process - there is a good amount of variation with the timing on how long at 180 and how hot after. I run on smoke mode (180) for 2-4 hours then turn it up to about 275 to decrease the total time. Formerly I was a low and slow 225 till done guy but that was taking up too much time.

On the cut: for years I only did flats. I have no reason for this other than ignorance in thinking the full packer was mysteriously more difficult. which is kinda funny because I now feel the flat alone is more challenging (after doing both). If you have a a Costco around - they sell Prime packers for a good price. I have found smaller ones in the 10-12 LB range which works for us (two people). or they have the MONDO ones too.

There are a zillion write-ups and methods. wrap / no wrap, pan / no pan, foil vs paper. best advice - pick one, try it and find what YOU LIKE. try a couple. A total fail is not super likely - the end products vary in some qualities.

I went to the commissary to look for a full packer since I refuse to deal with Costco on a Friday, and I came away without a brisket. They had two rows, one was clearly flats and the other row was labeled Whole Brisket Deckle off. I tried to figure out what the label meant and the lady working there knew less about brisket cuts then my 7yr old. With no cell service to google this I was dead in the water. No brisket this weekend, but hopefully soon Ill have an excuse for a Costco run...

br.jpg
brrr.jpg

Well, the Deckle is the hard fat layer which you find protruding from the flat & point. Unfortunately, many times it's mistakenly identified as the point which isn't correct according to IMPS' cut description. Can't tell from the photo if the point is there or not.

Yah, I couldnt tell you about the point being there or not. I know it had a lot more fat on it then the flat. Also, the lady tried to tell me that the one labeled whole was just a flat that was trimmed which made no sense since the "trimmed" one was bigger and less expensive with a whole lot more fat on it... Looks like Costco or the local butcher is the way to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky