Brisket 3 Ways With Authentic Tex Mex Spanish Rice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texas Cookin'

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 28, 2019
Decided I would do a brisket this weekend. I didn't get many pictures of the prep or original smoke as I did it all early in the A.M and was a little groggy. The results however were really good. I rubbed the brisket down with Jeff's Texas Style Rub Friday night before laying down for bed and put it in the fridge. Got the Traeger up to 275 about 8 AM the next morning and got it on. I mopped it 3-4 times with a mix of beef broth and apple juice. It probed tender at 206 at 3:30 PM so I took it off and wrapped it in foil and towels then into a cooler for about 3 hours. Took it out and separated the point from the flat. I cubed the entire point for burnt ends and then sliced most of the flat. I took the fattier end of the flat and chopped it for sandwiches.

Big thanks to @ChiliRelleno as I followed one of his old burnt end recipes. Butter, Honey and BBQ sauce. I used Head Country BBQ sauce. I also added more rub in the process. Here are the pictures of that. These were the star of the show no doubt!
img_1761-jpg.427961

IMG_1766.JPG

I then took this beautiful flat...
IMG_1762.JPG

And made some slices and chopped....

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

Sides of Choice tonight were Hash Brown Casserole and Tex Mex Spanish Rice. If you have never had authentic Tex Mex Rice then you must try this rice recipe. It is straight from my grandmothers kitchen! Brown 1 cup of rice in oil. I usually do about half an onion with the rice but didn't have one today. Mix in one 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Dissolve 2 table spoons of Knorr Caldo de Pollo chicken Bouillon with 2 cups of water in the microwave and add. Add Garlic Powder and ground Cumin to taste. Bring to a strong boil and then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Results below!

IMG_1767.JPG

Hash brown casserole is a mixture of sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon bits, ranch dip seasoning, and frozen shredded hashbrowns. My wife does this and I am unsure of here exact measurements.

IMG_1770.JPG

It was a great meal and one of the better briskets I have ever done. The burnt ends were the real deal and the star of the show. I hope everyone is having a great new year and happy smoking!

IMG_1772 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 226
Boy howdy, that is one all-star cook right there! I'd love sitting down to that meal, everything looks to be perfect. Like, RAY

Boy howdy, that is one all-star cook right there! I'd love sitting down to that meal, everything looks to be perfect. Like, RAY
Thanks Ray. It was a great meal the first, second, and third times.

Fred

Hell yeah that looks outstanding! Nice smoke ring on that brisket too! That hashbrown casserole sounds so good. If you get your old lady to give up the recipe I'll gladly give it a try! Points for sure nice cook!

Thanks for rice recipe. I'm gonna have ta give that a go real soon. That brisket also looks mighty fine.

Point for sure
Chris

Hell yeah that looks outstanding! Nice smoke ring on that brisket too! That hashbrown casserole sounds so good. If you get your old lady to give up the recipe I'll gladly give it a try! Points for sure nice cook!
Vol I will ask her and will get back to you.

Thanks for rice recipe. I'm gonna have ta give that a go real soon. That brisket also looks mighty fine.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

The rice recipe is versatile. Sub a box of vermicelli for rice and follow the same steps. You end up with a wonderful dish that we call "fideo" down this way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky