Bread Machine Sourdough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Gotta give it a go.

1 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
4 cups bread flour
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup sourdough starter, bubbly and active

Instructions​

1. Add the water and melted butter to the bread machine.

2. On top of that add the bread flour, sugar and salt.

3. Lastly, add the sourdough starter.

4. Use the kneading function on the bread machine. (For my machine this is function 8) Mine is set to knead for 25 minutes.

5. Optional: After the first knead cycle finishes, I press the button again and let it knead the dough one more time, for an additional 25 minute cycle. Remove the mixing paddle.

6. Next, I just allow the dough to sit in the bread machine for about 6 hours, or until the dough nearly rises to the top of the bread pan. I like to spritz the top with water a few times to make sure the dough doesn't dry out on top. (Optional , but also helps the crust to turn golden in the baking step.) I opted this step to put the pan in my proofer with some humidity.

7. After the dough has risen for several hours, I go to the baking function (function 13 on my bread maker) and select the option for dark crust. This makes the bake time 1 hour.

8. Pull the bread out of the bread maker and allow to cool.

Starter
IMG_3744.jpg

Water
IMG_3799.JPG

Starter 100g
IMG_3800.JPG

Sifted bread flour.
IMG_3802.JPG

Put it all together in the machine pan.
IMG_3804.jpg

2kneads at 25 mins, I let rest 5 mins before the second knead.
IMG_3805.jpg

Let it rise for 6 hours in my proofer.
IMG_3807.JPG

After 6 hours its back into the bread machine for an hour bake.
IMG_3810.jpg

At 45 mins.
IMG_3813.jpg

I took the mixing paddle out of the pan after the second kneading for baking.
IMG_3814.JPG

Cool before slicing.
IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

Nice Rick. More folks might make if where less hands on. I like working the dough but if dont feel like messing with it I would give it a go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky