Bratwurst Recipe and Seasonings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yooper22

Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Long time lurker but first time posting. I have been making my own bratwurst over the last couple of years. While they are good, I cannot get just the right taste that I am looking for. I see some recipes call for milk (or cream) and eggs where as the recipe I use calls for NFDM and water (or beer). I am curious what the milk and eggs do for flavor? The recipe I use calls for the normal ginger, nutmeg, pepper, kosher salt, etc. and I think I have all of that dialed in but it could use something to take them from just good brats to great. Thoughts on the milk and eggs? I am planning on making 5 lbs over the weekend and wondering if I should make a change. Here is the current recipe I have been using:

Ground Pork 5 lbs
Kosher Salt 3TBS
Sugar 4 tsp
Ginger 2 tsp
Nutmeg 2 tsp
Coriander 3/4 tsp
Paprika 1.5 tsp
Black Pepper 2 tsp
Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp
White Pepper 1 tsp
Celery Seed 1/4 tsp
Marjorum 1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder 1/2 tsp
Non-Fat Dry Milk 1/4 C
Water / Beer 1 C

I use a mix I get from sausage maker . Midwest Bratwurst . It calls for eggs , milk and nfdm . I also add cure 1 to my bratwurst . Recently started using phosphates as well .

I'll give you the amounts in case you are interested .
For 10 lbs - 3 whole eggs
1 pint cold milk
You have the amount of milk powder you like . Just divide the rest out for the amount you're making .
If I do 5 lbs I use 2 eggs . Close enough .
I don't think it's a taste thing , but more for texture / mouth feel .
I think if you try the eggs and whole milk you will like it . Just keep mixing until it come together .
I think I would lose the garlic powder and the celery seed , maybe add in some caraway seed , but that's me .
Good luck .

The egg white acts as a binder. The yolk and milk add some richness. Use cream for the fluffiest texture. Try adding some mace at 2 tsp per 5 pounds. A mace/nutmeg combination give brats their signature taste, IMO.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks for the replies. I made 10 lbs this morning. I omitted the garlic and celery salt and added caraway seed that I crushed up a little bit. Exchanged the water for 2 eggs and heavy cream on 5 lbs. The other 5 lbs I used a cup of Yuengling beer. Fry test was OK...you can definitely taste the caraway. I couldn't really tell a difference in texture between the 2 but all I saved was the leftovers from stuffer and had 2 patty's. Everything else is linked up and turned out good. Currently resting in the fridge before I vacuum pack them up. Thanks again and will report back!

Looking forward to the review. Brats are going to be my next endeavor.

If I may add a recipe I use. It is very much like the ol' krauts up home (Kans / Nebr) made for their Oktoberfests, before they started buying Johnsonville Brats.

Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice:

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (NOT 20!) (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I apologize it took so long to reply. I made these brats a couple of weeks ago, fried the leftovers that didn't fit into the casings and then froze the rest. Today, I grilled some of each. These were the same recipe, only difference was one batch used beer and the other used eggs/heavy cream. I think flavor between the 2 is equivalent. There is definitely a texture difference but I am not sure which is better...just different. So I grew up in Wisconsin on store bought brats and both are good and better than anything you would buy. I added caraway seed as Chopsaw recommended and while I agree it belongs with brat flavor, I am not sure that is what I was looking for. Perhaps I added too much as it was very noticeable.

Polka, thanks your comments and recipe. I am interested in the lemon & cardamom. I have another pork butt in the freezer and think I will try that next time.

I am curious about the difference between mace and nutmeg. My experience is that different recipes call for one or the other but not both as they are from the same family.

Regarding the Mace, and Nutmeg. If I remember correctly, Mace comes from the ground bark, while Nutmeg comes from the ground seed / nut / kernel.

To me (emphasis, Me) Mace is not as pungent, sweeter, and lingers longer on the palate.
Nutmeg is nuttier, not as sweet, and stronger up front; lingers not as long.

For my taste, I often add half of the amount stated of either /both, and then do the test fry.

These seem to be a spices to be careful of since they most definitely have an obvious taste and fragrance / aroma effect.

My two cents
Happy smoking

Rex

If I may add a recipe I use. It is very much like the ol' krauts up home (Kans / Nebr) made for their Oktoberfests, before they started buying Johnsonville Brats.

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Coriander

1 tsp Cardamom
20 drops lemon extract (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Hope this helps.
I may give this a try this weekend. My wife wants some made as patties. Does the addition of the cream and eggs allow this to still be pattied or is it to “runny” ?

I may give this a try this weekend. My wife wants some made as patties. Does the addition of the cream and eggs allow this to still be pattied or is it to “runny” ?
Not runny at all .

Jcam , I just read thru the recipe in your quote . Do not use 20 drops of lemon extract . That has to be a typo . I've used 2 drops of extract for 5 lbs . That's more than enough .

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Coriander

1 tsp Cardamom
20 drops lemon extract (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Hope this helps.
This sausage making is kind of addictive. After a couple days of making breakfast sausage patties I decide to do some bratwurst patties. I used this recipe , thanks for posting it. I only used two teaspoons of fresh lemon zest and the rest as written. It is very good. For my second 5 lbs. batch tomorrow I may cut the salt to 2 tbsp. My wife thought this was very good. She’s been eating the breakfast sausage for a couple days,I gave her an unnamed bite and she instantly said mmmm bratwurst.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky