Boudin-ish links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bregent

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 1, 2014
I first tried boudin about 25 years ago from a local sausage maker in Oakland called Taylors sausage, and the whole family really enjoyed them. About 5 years ago I tried making some at home, using recipes found on the web. Although the flavor was very close, the texture was much different. After purchasing more from Taylors to compare, I realized that they were using fresh pork, not cooked. I searched online but could not find any boudin recipes that used fresh pork. Since the texture that comes from using cooked pork is so much different - and seems to be such a key aspect of boudin, these are probably not authentic and maybe should not even be called boudin. But they are delicious - so I adapted the recipes I had to use fresh pork. If you're looking for boudin-like flavors with a more traditional fresh sausage texture, give these a try some time.

Total weight: 8lbs 12 oz
5 1/2 lbs Pork Shoulder
1/2 lbs pork or chicken liver
1 Cup finely minced onions
1 Cup chopped green bell pepper
1 Cup finely chopped green onions - divided
1 Stalk Celery - chopped
1.5 Cup minced parsley - divided
7 tsp Cajun seasoning (Tony's)
1.5 tsp cayenne
6 cups cooked rice (use as much as needed)
2 cups Pork or Chicken Stock (use as much as needed)
1 1/2 tsp black pepper

Lightly pan fry the liver in butter and let cool. Grind the fresh pork and liver with half the parsley, half the green onion and all of the onion, celery and bell pepper. Mix well with remaining spices and greens. Add enough stock and rice for good stuffing consistency. Fry a tester, adjust seasoning and stuff into hog casings. Refrigerate overnight before cutting links and freezing.

Edit: We don't poach these. Either grill or fry in a pan with a little oil

boudin1.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds really good. I've have only had Boudin once. How does your Texture compare to traditional? More firm I would suspect...JJ

This sounds really good. I've have only had Boudin once. How does your Texture compare to traditional? More firm I would suspect...JJ

I don't have a lot of experience, as the only traditional style I've had was homemade from recipes found here on SMF and elsewhere on the web. My understanding is that traditional has a pate like quality - very creamy and spreadable. The fresh pork version I posted is closer to other fresh sausages, like brats or Italians - although the texture is a bit softer with the addition of rice.

There are lots of boudin experts here, so hopefully they will chime in.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Man that looks great. I like the idea of more of a fresh sausage for a different texture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky