Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
 Bear,

Just awesome info on doing a butt. Written out well with good pics for thos e of us really new to this.

This was my first shot with the new MB 30 I just got for my birthday and read thru your directions here and figured this would be the one to try. Mine followed along pretty well with your times/temps and I didn't put in a thermometer until about 5.5 hours into it. Came out super moist and tender.. But you know that already I guess.LOL..

My 9.7lb. ready to go.

Spritz and added thermometer at 5.5 hours.

Wrapping it at 7.5 hours.

13.5 hours later and one hour of rest.

Let's eat..

Now... How do I clean the smoker as it is a mess..LOL..

Griz

Bear,

Just awesome info on doing a butt. Written out well with good pics for thos e of us really new to this.

This was my first shot with the new MB 30 I just got for my birthday and read thru your directions here and figured this would be the one to try. Mine followed along pretty well with your times/temps and I didn't put in a thermometer until about 5.5 hours into it. Came out super moist and tender.. But you know that already I guess.LOL..

Now... How do I clean the smoker as it is a mess..LOL..

Griz
Thanks Griz!!

You did an outstanding job on that Butt !!!
icon14.gif

Looks mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif

Since you used a drip pan, you should only have to either throw that away, or wash it & wash the racks.

That's all we clean every time, along with my temp probes.

I wash  them & change the foil on my water pan & bottom drip pan once in awhile, and wipe down the walls and ceiling only when loose stuff forms on them. Also clean the temp sensors on the back wall after every few smokes.

Bear

SInce I got my MES 30 the other day, I ordered the AMAZEN and a maverick 733. Because of all of the good reviews on here. The tray should be here today and according to the USPS the therm on Monday. I seasoned the smoker the other day and I think I'm going to make my first butt tomorrow. Waiting on the mail to see if it is here. I can't wait! 

Thanks for the step by step. Now to check out some of your others.

SInce I got my MES 30 the other day, I ordered the AMAZEN and a maverick 733. Because of all of the good reviews on here. The tray should be here today and according to the USPS the therm on Monday. I seasoned the smoker the other day and I think I'm going to make my first butt tomorrow. Waiting on the mail to see if it is here. I can't wait! 

Thanks for the step by step. Now to check out some of your others.
Thanks ccall !!!

Sounds like you're just about ready!!

Bear

Got my therm and the amazen today. Got a butt all rubbed and in the fridge. Planning on starting it tomorrow before I leave for work. I have the flexibility to stop home off and on to check the progress. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for tomorrow morning! I will try to remember pics, but needing to be at work at 0530, my mind is usually a little fuzzy then.

I just loaded up my MES 40 with Butts.  Prepped them yesterday with mustard and rub and let sit over night.

I buy dry butts (non-enhanced) to make caribou and deer sausage.  I mostly use the fat for the sausage.  I take the left over butts and put them in the smoker.  So the butts I have in there have less fat then a butt you would buy.  They are still of course heavily marbled.

When I say that I loaded up the smoker, I mean it is full.  I have about 50 lbs of butts in there.  The top three racks are all full, the 4th rack has a turkey roasting pan for drippings.  I lit both ends of my AMNPS to give it more smoke.

Do you think I should turn up the heat with this much meat in there?  Can you give me any recommendations on what to expect or recommended changes to the step by step process with this much meat?

Thanks for any insight you can share.

I just loaded up my MES 40 with Butts.  Prepped them yesterday with mustard and rub and let sit over night.

I buy dry butts (non-enhanced) to make caribou and deer sausage.  I mostly use the fat for the sausage.  I take the left over butts and put them in the smoker.  So the butts I have in there have less fat then a butt you would buy.  They are still of course heavily marbled.

When I say that I loaded up the smoker, I mean it is full.  I have about 50 lbs of butts in there.  The top three racks are all full, the 4th rack has a turkey roasting pan for drippings.  I lit both ends of my AMNPS to give it more smoke.

Do you think I should turn up the heat with this much meat in there?  Can you give me any recommendations on what to expect or recommended changes to the step by step process with this much meat?

Thanks for any insight you can share.
That's a lot of cold meat for the beginning of the smoke. I'm hoping you have enough space between & around the pieces of butts.

I would think bumping it up to about 260° would be a good idea, but that's high enough.

Once the meat gets warmed up a little things will move a little better.

Bear

Thanks Bear.   I went ahead and started it at 240.  I'll bump to 260.

The butts are smaller since the outer fat has already been trimmed.  I have nine butts in the 5 to 6 lb range.  I figured I actually have more surface area for the smoke to penetrate then on larger butts.  The butts are touching each other in the middle though.

Thanks Bear.   I went ahead and started it at 240.  I'll bump to 260.

The butts are smaller since the outer fat has already been trimmed.  I have nine butts in the 5 to 6 lb range.  I figured I actually have more surface area for the smoke to penetrate then on larger butts.  The butts are touching each other in the middle though.
It's alright if they touch here & there, just so they aren't solid meat all the way across one of the racks.

I once had two pans on one rack, and the heat couldn't get through to the top of the smoker. The bottom of my smoker was too hot & the top was not hot until I rearranged the pans.

Bear

I took the turkey roasting pan out and just used the drip pan in that came with the smoker.  I think the roasting pan was blocking the heat like you mentioned.

I smoked the butts for 8 hours then checked internal temps.  Butts on the top rack were 140, butts in the middle were around 150, and butts on the bottom rack were around 165 degrees.

I then took them out and put into roasting pans and cover with foil plus added the apple juice.  I put the top 3 butts in my oven at 275, I put 2 from the middle rack in my grill and kept the grill around 270-280, and I put the rest back in the smoker and bumped it to 275.  All except one butt reached 205 to 210 within 2.5 hours.  The middle butt in the smoker was only at 187 when I checked them all.  I took it out of the smoker and put it in the oven until it got to 203.

All butts rested overnight in the frig.  I'll pull them today.  I did enjoy a few "samples" last night as occasionally a piece would fall off or get knocked off.  Very tasty!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

I took the turkey roasting pan out and just used the drip pan in that came with the smoker.  I think the roasting pan was blocking the heat like you mentioned.

I smoked the butts for 8 hours then checked internal temps.  Butts on the top rack were 140, butts in the middle were around 150, and butts on the bottom rack were around 165 degrees.

I then took them out and put into roasting pans and cover with foil plus added the apple juice.  I put the top 3 butts in my oven at 275, I put 2 from the middle rack in my grill and kept the grill around 270-280, and I put the rest back in the smoker and bumped it to 275.  All except one butt reached 205 to 210 within 2.5 hours.  The middle butt in the smoker was only at 187 when I checked them all.  I took it out of the smoker and put it in the oven until it got to 203.

All butts rested overnight in the frig.  I'll pull them today.  I did enjoy a few "samples" last night as occasionally a piece would fall off or get knocked off.  Very tasty!!!

Thanks for all the help!!
Sounds like a pain in the butt (pun intended), but when you're loading one up like that, it could cause problems. That roasting pan could have been causing flow problems.

Sounds like you did good things to get through it !!

Glad it all tastes good!!

Bear

It is a lot of work with that much meat.  I think 8 butts is my limit going forward.  That would be 2 per rack.  These things are delicious though.  I plan to vacuum seal and freeze a bunch so I can take and thaw out whenever I'm hungry!! 

I have a question about the mustard.  Why does everyone call for yellow mustard before the rub?  Is that just to form the bark or add flavor or does it have another purpose?

Thanks for the great instructions and advice!!

It is a lot of work with that much meat.  I think 8 butts is my limit going forward.  That would be 2 per rack.  These things are delicious though.  I plan to vacuum seal and freeze a bunch so I can take and thaw out whenever I'm hungry!! 

I have a question about the mustard.  Why does everyone call for yellow mustard before the rub?  Is that just to form the bark or add flavor or does it have another purpose?

Yellow mustard is supposed to be for holding the rub on the meat, not for flavor or anything. I've rubbed with and without, never noticed a difference.

You can use oil or about anything or nothing.  Just thinking out loud, mustard probably either started as a joke and caught on, or out of necessity. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't

Gary

Yup, ike others said---Just to hold the rub.

I use Worcestershire "Thick" on Beef.

Mustard on Pork & sometimes Chicken.

Olive oil on some things too, including Chicken.

All before the rubs or seasonings.

There's always a method to my madness, whether it be right or wrong.

Bear

Last edited:
Awesome post Bear!  Very informative for the newbies..........killer bark and super tender meat it looks like!  Another job well done!  Thumbs Up
I smoked mine at 225 until it stalled and ran temp to 270. It was black as coal and took 12 hrs. I will definitely follow your instructions next time. I figured i should've wrapped it in foil and also i put the probe in right away. Thanks for the tips.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky