Boston Butt On My 22.5 Inch Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kettle man

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
So I am relatively new to smoking. I have been grilling 15 plus years on a gas grill.  Originally I was attracted to the ease and controlled environment of gas.  My most recent grill was the Weber Gensis.  Great grill and I have loved it but gas left a lot to be desired.  Not having the spare change for an Egg I recently decided to buy the 22.5 Weber Kettle. I used to laugh at people with the Weber Kettle. I thought they were too cheap to get a good gas grill and to be quite frank not as skilled.  Boy I could not have been more wrong. The Weber Kettle is a warhorse and while it requires more work than a smoker it produces a quality end result.

Yesterday I cooked an 8 lb butt on my kettle.  It was the best I have done so far. I knew the day was going well when the aroma was wafting over my house and into the street.  Here is a quick summary of the cook and my day:
  • Applied mustard and dry rub I got from a favorite site of mine at 4:00 Friday afternoon
  • Woke up at 6:25 and started my chimney (16 bricks of Kingsford charcoal)
  • Took out the butt
  • Put it on ay 6:55 AM ( a little early but I wanted to work out)
  • Grill set up: drip pan with water, charcoal dividers with 8 coals on each side and a red brick.
  • At 8:05 temp had dropped to about 175 so I added a few more hot coals
  • Over the course of the next 8 hours I added 2-4 bricks of charcoal and my hickory wood chips as needed.
  • The heat stayed between 225-250 all day (first time I have successfully managed heat on my kettle)
  • Slow and low for 9hrs
  • Wrapped in foil for two hours before I pulled
The only drawback  I have seen thus far with the kettle is it is very labor intensive to smoke.  While I could do the minion method and make my life a little easier I really like the even cook provided with the dividers. Attached are some pictures from the day.

Hello and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad you joined us 

That looks like a very successful day 

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

Look awesome, did you foil and leave it on the gril or wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler.  I always have a hard time controlling my heat on my kettle when i try to smoke on it, look at the pitmasteriq110, pretty sweet blower for a good price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky