Boston butt cool down to fridge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbill1638

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Western North Carolina
So here's the question/situation. Cooked 2 7lb pork butts and they got done at 6a.m. I'm looking for the future. I pull and chopped both. One of them will be for freezer and one for dinner. I know they need to cool before putting in fridge or freezer. What is the minimum time or temp they need to cool before putting away? What is the maximum of time or temp they can be safely left in a room temperature atmosphere between finishing smoking and fridge or freezer?

The old wives tale that it will spoil if not cooled first seems to persist, but it's safer to put it directly into the fridge. The only risk of putting hot food into the fridge is that it may warm up other things nearby, but modern fridges have the capacity to keep food cold even if you put a hot item into it.

From foodsafety.gov:

Mistake #5: Letting food cool before putting it in the fridge
Why: Illness-causing bacteria can grow in perishable foods within two hours unless you refrigerate them

Solution: Refrigerate perishable foods within 2 hours (or within 1 hour if the temperature is over 90˚F.

If you cooked them to pull then you'll have no problem putting them into either after you pull them. The only reason I can think of is if you put it the fridge or freezer while its still hot off the smoker you'll make you fridge or freezer work harder to cool them down or freeze them. Room temp is fine. BTW I pull by hand.

Chris

The old wives tale that it will spoil if not cooled first seems to persist, but it's safer to put it directly into the fridge. The only risk of putting hot food into the fridge is that it may warm up other things nearby, but modern fridges have the capacity to keep food cold even if you put a hot item into it.

From foodsafety.gov:

Mistake #5: Letting food cool before putting it in the fridge
Why: Illness-causing bacteria can grow in perishable foods within two hours unless you refrigerate them

Solution: Refrigerate perishable foods within 2 hours (or within 1 hour if the temperature is over 90˚F.

Thank for clearing that up about the wives tale. For the refrigerate within 2 or 1 hours if over 90 degrees, what point does that time start from? I know it isn't from taking off smoker, does that time start from when the food temp drops to 140 degrees?

If you cooked them to pull then you'll have no problem putting them into either after you pull them. The only reason I can think of is if you put it the fridge or freezer while its still hot off the smoker you'll make you fridge or freezer work harder to cool them down or freeze them. Room temp is fine. BTW I pull by hand.

Chris
Thank you, i pull by hand also then chop.

Thank for clearing that up about the wives tale. For the refrigerate within 2 or 1 hours if over 90 degrees, what point does that time start from? I know it isn't from taking off smoker, does that time start from when the food temp drops to 140 degrees?

That rule is a general guide to follow for all cooked food. Being more specific, YES, the clock starts when the IT hits 140 degrees F. Think restaurants that hold Butts in a warmer at 140 all day. Their clock starts when they empty the warmer of any leftovers, not when they pull the butts out of the smoker...JJ

Reactions: smokinbill1638
That rule is a general guide to follow for all cooked food. Being more specific, YES, the clock starts when the IT hits 140 degrees F. Think restaurants that hold Butts in a warmer at 140 all day. Their clock starts when they empty the warmer of any leftovers, not when they pull the butts out of the smoker...JJ
Thank you JJ. I want to understand so i can make sure I'm being safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky