Blackened Rockfish...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...with fresh mango salsa. Had 3 mangos that needed to be used and haven't blackened any fish in awhile, so here we go...

First the salsa...
  • 3 very ripe mangos. I'd suggest ones that are a little less ripe if you want cubes
  • ½ red onion finely chopped
  • Juice from one lime
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • Maybe ½ cup of chopped cilantro, but I subbed Italian parsley because I don't really like cilantro that much
  • 2 jalapenos seeded and finely chopped
  • Salt to taste
20240423_162411[1].jpg

I tried to chop the mangos into cubes, but they were very ripe and wouldn't cooperate so I just did the best I could. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add a little salt to taste. Let that sit in the fridge to come together.
20240423_164359[1].jpg

For the fish, I used a low salt blackening seasoning I make...
20240423_165030[1].jpg

The one piece with only coarse salt on it is for the grandgirls. They don't really like anything with a char on it or black specs. Hopefully one day they'll figure it out...😄

Also made elote, or Mexican street corn...
  • 4 ears of fresh corn
  • 1 cup mayo
  • Zest and juice from one lime
  • ½ cup or so of Cotija cheese
  • ¼ tsp or so of Chipotle chili powder
  • 1 clove of garlic crushed/chopped
  • ½ cup cilantro. There again, I subbed Italian parsley
Combine all the ingredients except the corn and set aside.
20240423_170206[1].jpg

Fired up a kettle with some lump to grill the corn. Get a good char on all sides...
20240423_173043[1].jpg

Cut off the cob and combine with the other ingredients...
20240423_174844[1].jpg

Time to blacken the fish. Got a skillet hot with a good drizzle of EVOO. Sear both sides until the fish releases from the skillet...
20240423_174408[1].jpg

Salsa goes on the fish with the elote on the side. Time to eat...
20240423_180202[1].jpg

This is a very fresh dish with flavors we love. Got the corn from Walmart and it wasn't bad, but can't hardly wait for our local corn to come in. True elote is made with corn on the cob and the mayo mixture spread on the ears. I just cut it off to make it easier and less messy for our grandgirls to eat...

Wow what a great meal Charles!
We dod a lot of grilled corn and I'm saving your recipe!
Congrats on the ride!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky