Big Barolo Wine Kick-Off!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm not in to sweet wines , but a lot of people are. fall an winter are the best times to make wine IMO...good luck with your project.
It actually fermented out pretty dry. Been a while since I did one of those wine kits. They got kind of expensive and I quit buying them. I need to break down and get one. Anything you can recommend for a rookie?

It actually fermented out pretty dry. Been a while since I did one of those wine kits. They got kind of expensive and I quit buying them. I need to break down and get one. Anything you can recommend for a rookie?
We like R.J. Spagnols kits. Some of the kits are on sale right now for $99 bucks. Will yield 30-31 750mL bottles.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Good call on the distilled water. That's pretty low temp for wine. IIRC the red folks like the warmer side. That yeast come with the kit? Maybe Uncle's fave? It is considered champagne yeast, It's a beast and ferments well but on the neutral side. Did you see BRL97? Looks right up your alley for your next one.

https://www.lallemandwine.com/en/china/products/catalogue/wine-yeasts/6/lalvin-brl-97/
The yeast we used came with the kit. We fermented @76-84*F, maceration on skins 20-21 days. Then dropped temps down 59-62* F while on oak.

Reactions: zwiller
We like R.J. Spagnols kits. Some of the kits are on sale right now for $99 bucks. Will yield 30-31 750mL bottles.
It does not look like they sell online and no stores around me. Looked at other places that carry it but looks like they about $200. Where are you buying them? Thanks Keith.

Not sure if any near you guys but up here there's a lot of wineries that sell their must/grape juice and it probably the least expensive method to get into wine making. My local is $10/G but used to much cheaper. Stuff is treated and ready to go to boot. Got me thinking...

Not sure if any near you guys but up here there's a lot of wineries that sell their must/grape juice and it probably the least expensive method to get into wine making. My local is $10/G but used to much cheaper. Stuff is treated and ready to go to boot. Got me thinking...
Just now seeing this. Missed it earlier somehow. Buying grapes straight from a vineyard might work if you live on the west coast. Great idea actually. But there are no wine grapes grown within 200 miles or more of where I live....at least not the wines I like to make. I may be able to buy Aglianico grapes in texas soon though.

We were all set to bottle either Friday or Saturday, but learned that the floor wine corker is at my Uncle's house and he is on vacation, won't be back until Tuesday. So the Borolo will get a few more days on oak....won't hurt a thing.

Well, we bottled the Barolo today. But my Uncle could not be of much help due to being under the weather with pneumonia. I was really looking forward to sharing a glass with him while we bottled, but will have to wait until we open a bottle. All I can say is Wow....this wine really showed it's depth once it warmed up in the glass.

Because I pulled the wine from a cold refrigerator *37*F doing a cold stabilization, the wine was still condensing moisture on the bottles after bottling. So we will wait a few days to label them. Also want to give my Uncle a chance to get better so we can label them together.

We got 28 3/5 bottles of wine (we drank the 3 glasses!) Upright for a few days to let the corks seat well in the bottle...
IMG_20230928_140432.jpg

Yep. Best thing to do is start another batch so you don't rush.
Yep. Already looking at another kit. This kit wine was sold as a nebbiolo kit. The wine we made is not big and bold like you would expect with a classical barolo wine. It is a softer, more rounded, fruit forward like a Langhe nebbiolo. Not that this is a bad thing....the wine is good-real good! Won't have to wait as long to drink it now!

Yep. Already looking at another kit. This kit wine was sold as a nebbiolo kit. The wine we made is not big and bold like you would expect with a classical barolo wine. It is a softer, more rounded, fruit forward like a Langhe nebbiolo. Not that this is a bad thing....the wine is good-real good! Won't have to wait as long to drink it now!
I DARE you to make the exact same wine again but try that yeast above (one below). Different yeast can make a HUGE difference on your final product. It's mind blowing first time you do it. You used a well known dependable yeast but it's known for being neutral or "clean" yeast. I think you would like a bolder one for that style.

https://wyeastlab.com/style/nebbiolo-barolo-barbaresco/

Once you got like 2-3 batches you can put some down a long time with ease. Think I already said but if you make it correctly, it does not need much age. It improves for sure

I DARE you to make the exact same wine again but try that yeast above (one below). Different yeast can make a HUGE difference on your final product. It's mind blowing first time you do it. You used a well known dependable yeast but it's known for being neutral or "clean" yeast. I think you would like a bolder one for that style.

https://wyeastlab.com/style/nebbiolo-barolo-barbaresco/
Thanks for posting. I'm on a crash course learning about making wine; have not even made it to the different yeast strains available on the market. But if that is THE yeast for big bold barolo....well I'm in. I will buy some. I plan on making this kit again, in fact, it might be the next wine I make! LOL!

Cannot off any specifics never made that style before and have made WAY more beer than wine. I will tell you the REALLY gung ho guys will make a 5G batch, and ferment in 5 - 1G jugs with different yeast to find their fave. I routinely did split ferments of beer (2 half filled 5G carboy) with 2 different yeasts. BRL97 is a no brainer for me on paper for being the result of a 4 year study in the University of Torino.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky