Best of last year and plans for this one?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krusem05

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
This is about a week later than I meant to post it, but Happy New Year! What were your big smoker successes this past year, and do you have any big plans for this one?

I got hooked on making my own sausages and cured meats this year, to the detriment of standard BBQ fair, but I had great success with a whole lot of new recipes:

Bacon (plain and maple)

Canadian bacon

Tasso ham

Andouille sausage

Smoked brats

Pastrami (which was also my first smoked brisket)

This year (like each of the last couple of years) I hope to do more brisket as well as a few new sausages.

Those are some gorgeous birds. I'm pretty sure that a full scale smokehouse is not legit in my backyard, nor would my wife look kindly upon it, so I'll have to stick to the offset sidebox!

Last year my focus was to work on technique and rubs.

For 2013 my focus is:
New RF porch smoker
Build a trailer RF for comps
Compete in comps
Sausage, jerky, snack sticks and cheeses
To help as many people as I can.
If time, work on some sauces....

Just a couple things.........:biggrin:

Kruse, just tell your wife you'll do all the cooking on the week-ends.  Works for me.  If  you build a smokehouse, they will come!

My project from last year will do me for a while.  I'm thinking about a pizza oven, but I'll have to save up for that.

Wes

Made some Great Kielbasa under the tutelage of Shannon127. I would like to nail a " Juicy ", Tender Packer Brisket this year. I have made them tender but so far they have been dry...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky