Best method for chargriller smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jtexans4

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
Hey guys, right now I smoke on a MES 30 but want to learn/experiment smoking with charcoal. I use a char griller Pro deluxe for my everyday grilling (pic attached) and wanted to attempt smoking a little pork shoulder on it. I’ve looked up the minion method and fuse but they seem geared towards kettles. What is the best method for smoking on my char griller? Thanks!
58AE76C8-EEB2-4B50-A4D4-A4CAB5B1E6DA.jpeg

Dont they make a smoker attachment for that grill? Thought I saw one for it.

I love that grill. I have given several away as presents and have a new one stashed in my shed. I have done short smokes but think you would have to feed it fairly often on long smokes without the attachment.

I cooked on one of these years ago . Mine was stock , and took some tending . Turned out some great food . Long smokes wore me out , but I loved it . Mine was sold with the side fire box . Here's a link to a thread on char griller mods . It's an older thread , so some of the pics are missing .
Making a basket for the side box , sealing it up and extending the smoke stack down to grate level are the main things .
If you got the side box coming , get some RTV red so you can seal it when installed .

My firebox won't be here until the 12th. That's the earliest I could find one to get delivered. Really wanted to try a small boston butt this weekend. Can I just set up one half of this grill with the minion method, then on the other side put the meat on the cast iron grate and a water pan underneath that and see what happens? I've always heard the butts are very forgiving when it comes to temperature swings so I'm not worried about it if it's not perfect. Any other advice if this would work good would be appreciated, otherwise I'll probably just smoke it in my electric one.

Reactions: chopsaw
My firebox won't be here until the 12th. That's the earliest I could find one to get delivered. Really wanted to try a small boston butt this weekend. Can I just set up one half of this grill with the minion method, then on the other side put the meat on the cast iron grate and a water pan underneath that and see what happens? I've always heard the butts are very forgiving when it comes to temperature swings so I'm not worried about it if it's not perfect. Any other advice if this would work good would be appreciated, otherwise I'll probably just smoke it in my electric one.
Yes you can. Go for it!

If you lived closer you could have mine. I haven't used it in years

Chris

Can I just set up one half of this grill with the minion method, then on the other side put the meat
Put the meat on the exhaust side if the grill . I'm betting you know that , but sometimes you need to state the obvious .
I've seen guys use bricks to make a maze also .
Keep that main body cleaned out if you build a fire in there . Last a lot longer if you do .
Post up that cook .

The problem you're going to run into is that pork butts take a long time and you will need to add charcoal and wood. The side firebox will make that considerably easier. Without it, you'll want to load up the intake side of the cooker with fuel and take the cooking grates off that side so you can rake the coals over and add more when it gets low. You could also potentially load the whole thing with charcoal if you can put something under the cooking grates like a baking sheet pan to act as a baffle. Since the cooker is about 20" deep, an 18-19" long half sheet pan could work placed perpendicular to the cook chamber and hopefully sit on the cook chamber walls while allowing room for charcoal underneath.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky