Beginning smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Txmedic1292

Original poster
Jul 25, 2023
Good afternoon, I am new to smoking and I am I the process of building my smoker. I am 50’ish and have been grilling for some time. So this is new to me, any advice anyone can give is much appreciated.
This is the pit I am working with. It’s a 100 gallon propane tank. 37” CC and 30”diameter. I have a smaller 100 pound propane tank to use for my FB that is 15” diameter and thinking @ 20”-24” long.
Rick R.
Txmedic1292

Attachments

• 61370765026__FE3E01B4-AC76-4783-9B6B-652166BA671E.jpeg
    61370765026__FE3E01B4-AC76-4783-9B6B-652166BA671E.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 61396030745__95440122-60A9-4661-9F04-4D7330923024.jpeg
    61396030745__95440122-60A9-4661-9F04-4D7330923024.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Colorado.
There is a smoker build calculator here that was put together by daveomak daveomak . I’ll see if I can find it or do a search up top of the menu bar with the magnifying glass icon. Very comprehensive build and design calculator.

Reactions: Txmedic1292
Welcome from Colorado.
There is a smoker build calculator here that was put together by daveomak daveomak . I’ll see if I can find it or do a search up top of the menu bar with the magnifying glass icon. Very comprehensive build and design calculator.
Thank you! I think I came across the calculator your talking about. It’s exactly what I needed to figure out my fire box requirements.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Just what I look for in a FB ............... I want length. I want to be able to move the fire away from the cook chamber, or rarely, move it closer to the chamber.

I think 22" to 25" is ideal. Maybe other's can tell a diff of having a fire 3" closer or away from the cook chamber, but not me. In my book, that's really splitting hairs.

I had an Old Country Brazos with a 20" firebox. And it seemed invariably, no matter how hard I fought it, the fire would move closer and closer to the cook chamber. Even though the firebox was round and I had taken out the grate and was using the bottom of the firebox, I put a Lone Star Grillz fire basket in and I was able to keep the fire near the door and my coal bed stayed together much easier.

And looking at the length of your cook chamber at 37", keeping the fire further away from the chamber will help reduce the direct heat on that end of the cooking grate.

Welcome to the forum from OHIO! Looking forward to seeing your build!

Just what I look for in a FB ............... I want length. I want to be able to move the fire away from the cook chamber, or rarely, move it closer to the chamber.

I think 22" to 25" is ideal. Maybe other's can tell a diff of having a fire 3" closer or away from the cook chamber, but not me. In my book, that's really splitting hairs.

I had an Old Country Brazos with a 20" firebox. And it seemed invariably, no matter how hard I fought it, the fire would move closer and closer to the cook chamber. Even though the firebox was round and I had taken out the grate and was using the bottom of the firebox, I put a Lone Star Grillz fire basket in and I was able to keep the fire near the door and my coal bed stayed together much easier.

And looking at the length of your cook chamber at 37", keeping the fire further away from the chamber will help reduce the direct heat on that end of the cooking grate.
I was able to find a 26 air tank for the FB form $20. I Will pick it up Thursday. It will save me some welding a square box. Now I have to figure out how to mate the 2. If anyone has done this before, could you share some pictures of how you accomplished it. And I was think of adding this fire basket or something like it.

Attachments

• IMG_6737.png
    IMG_6737.png
    612.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6730.png
    IMG_6730.png
    633.3 KB · Views: 16
That's the LSG fire basket and I was told that it wasn't necessary if you have a round firebox. Its meant for flat bottom FB. And I could agree with that if the FB had length. It helped me with the shorter Brazos firebox.

But I don't use it in my Franklin offset. I've thought about putting in there and giving it a go, but I've not had any trouble keeping my coal bed together and the Franklin has a 22" ( I think ) FB.

I think Aaron Franklin's first book has some detail about marrying the FB to the cook chamber, not sure, I'd have to dig it out. But if I were building a pit, that would be a good source to have.

I'm sure there's got to be a lot on YT.

Aaron has written three books. His first one was published in 2015 and its called " Franklin Barbecue " . That is the book where he talks building smokers. He then wrote " Franklin Steak " and just a couple months ago published " Franklin Smoke " .

Since its reverse flow, ya might check out Chuds YT channel, he recently built a 250 gallon reverse flow.

Since your building an RF, the length of the FB won't be that big an issue. You will have a baffle to keep direct heat out of the cook chamber. However, that baffle will heat up and there will be radiant heat on the meats on that end.

But a long FB is not as helpful as on a conventional flow.

Chud was not totally happy with his build. I think maybe, that he put his baffle too close to the cooking grates and got too much radiant heat. He hasn't spoken to that, but he wasn't happy with the bottom of his brisket in the foil boat.

Finally getting to prep my firebox. Going to use the “top” side to weld to the CC and the “base” as the FB door. Any suggestions as to a flat door .vs rounded “base” door?
IMG_7017.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7016.jpeg
    IMG_7016.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7018.jpeg
    IMG_7018.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky