Beginner Smoker From California

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Albert Pak

Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Hey guys,

I've been browsing this forum for about 4-5 months now. Back in January I got a cheap smoker (Dyna Glo Offset Vertical) as a birthday present. I figured the Dyna Glo would be a good starter as I really didn't know whether I would smoke meats too often. Well, thanks to this forum and other sources, I've learned a great deal about smoking (I still have a LOOOONG way to go).

So far, I've smoked pork ribs, pork butt, brisket, chicken, and a couple of short ribs. The first cook was pork ribs which didn't come out so great. It was burnt at the bottom, I had a hard time going up to temp in the smoker, and had to pull it off a little early because it was getting too late.

Anyways, I'll probably be asking questions here and there and I'm sure I would get a lot of great information from you guys! Thanks

AP, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and working with your new Dyna Glo. Learning the quirks of your smoker so you produce consistently good Q is an ongoing process. I've been using my smoker for several years and still learn things about it.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Thanks! I'm trying to learn the basics and seeing where everything goes. I've learned a lot already by just browsing through the forum!

Welcome!
something i recommend to every new member is the newsletter. its recipe a week in you email inbox. it comes out Thursday so you can have a recipe to try over the weekend and experiment with different types of dishes on your smoker.
you may also want to do a search for modding dyna-glo they have a few good ones on how to seal it u and such.

Good to have you,
phatbac (Aaron)

Welcome aboard Albert, everybody has a learning curve it's half the fun. One day soon you'll be sitting down to a plate of perfectly cooked ribs and start laughing out loud thinking about the first ribs you cooked.

Enjoy the site and share some of your cooks.

Chris

I know I'm a little late to the reply. I was just so busy. Anyways, thanks for the welcoming and I will check out some stuff you guys mentioned.

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky