BEER CAN CHICKEN 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I thought I would try my hand at a beer can chicken. I’ve seen it be done on SMF and on YouTube many times and always that it would be cool to try. I even found a beer can chicken stand on clearance for $4, so it’s the perfect timing.

I kept it fairly simple with a couple of dry rubs inside and out. Some Famous Dave’s for a sweeter profile and some Weber spicy chipotle for a little kick. And of course a Coors Light for moisture and flavor. I cooked it between 275-300 on the stick burner using some lump charcoal with pecan and apple wood. I basted it a couple times with a little bbq glaze I threw together. I pulled it off once it hit about 167 deep in the breast.

I brought it in and let it rest for about 10 minutes. I didn’t make it the whole rest period. I grabbed a wing off that bird and inhaled it. It was so good. I quartered it and had some bites here and bites there. It was juicy and had a great taste all over. I could even taste the beer just a little bit from some of the meat closer to the middle. All in all I was very happy with the turn out. It’s a big juicy yardbird with a lot of flavor and a good mild smokiness. I will definitely do this again sometime.

Let know what y’all think of it! I like the feedback.

1D987ED1-1BE3-4878-BCFE-A861E2273793.jpeg C8B312AD-E2DF-4BD5-B588-32CC1C5AE397.jpeg 52FDD3C1-2A50-4EA1-A208-469F1D21BFDB.jpeg 1B59E2F1-3334-49F8-94FF-0667EA0BFB23.jpeg E91F1BF3-6191-444D-9808-25F88A36E76A.jpeg

I'm surprised you tasted the beer. I usually pour the beer into a glass and fill the can up with water. I tried using beer when I first started smoking beer can chicken. I never even got a hint of beer in the meat, but that may be because I'm a cigarette smoker. Glad it turned out good - it certainly looks good.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinLogs
but that may be because I'm a cigarette smoker.

I don't know how you afford smoking where you are from...I am sure that distorts the taste. I quit on January 2 this year, having smoked for the last 35. I have just been noticing over the last month or 2 how much more I taste things. Amazing what I have been missing. Might have to start smoking again, though. The belly is starting to show my enjoyment!:rolleyes:

I don't know how you afford smoking where you are from...I am sure that distorts the taste. I quit on January 2 this year, having smoked for the last 35. I have just been noticing over the last month or 2 how much more I taste things. Amazing what I have been missing. Might have to start smoking again, though. The belly is starting to show my enjoyment!:rolleyes:

Nearby Indian reservation sells them for about 20.00 per carton.

Chris

I'm 4+yrs clean from dipping. Hardest thing I ever did. I gained probably 15lbs pretty quick but they say it's better to be a little over weight than inviting cancer.

Good luck and stay strong!

Chicken looks great!

I'm 4+yrs clean from dipping. Hardest thing I ever did. I gained probably 15lbs pretty quick but they say it's better to be a little over weight than inviting cancer.

Good luck and stay strong!

Good job guys! I quit smoking 4 months ago after 25+ years...and promptly gained 30 pounds. When I smoked, eating was often not as enjoyable as it could be because I couldn't really taste many foods or they were bland. Since quitting, I definitely notice things tasting better and that there are more nuanced flavors to foods than what I knew.

When I say start snappin',Got schooled on beer can and graduated to Spattlecock/Spacthcoch/Whatchamacallit, start snappin'

Haven't tried it yet, but everything I've read says spatchcock produces the best chicken, even Thanksgiving turkey! Wonder how spatchcocked turkey would go over with the family this year...lol...I guess if I'm going to spring a smoked turkey on them I might as well go all the way...

Thank for the comments. This was a lot of fun to make. I also gave up smoking cigarettes over 2 years ago, about the time I bought my offset smoker lol. I tell people I gave up one smoking for another. Food definitely tastes better these days. I too have put on about 30 pounds. Having 3 little boys in the past 4 years hasn’t helped my weight any either. Sympathy weight is a true thing. My wife carried the babies but I did plenty of the weight gaining. But if I’m going to gain, I choose it to be from smokey Q!

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I thought I would try my hand at a beer can chicken. I’ve seen it be done on SMF and on YouTube many times and always that it would be cool to try. I even found a beer can chicken stand on clearance for $4, so it’s the perfect timing.

I kept it fairly simple with a couple of dry rubs inside and out. Some Famous Dave’s for a sweeter profile and some Weber spicy chipotle for a little kick. And of course a Coors Light for moisture and flavor. I cooked it between 275-300 on the stick burner using some lump charcoal with pecan and apple wood. I basted it a couple times with a little bbq glaze I threw together. I pulled it off once it hit about 167 deep in the breast.

I brought it in and let it rest for about 10 minutes. I didn’t make it the whole rest period. I grabbed a wing off that bird and inhaled it. It was so good. I quartered it and had some bites here and bites there. It was juicy and had a great taste all over. I could even taste the beer just a little bit from some of the meat closer to the middle. All in all I was very happy with the turn out. It’s a big juicy yardbird with a lot of flavor and a good mild smokiness. I will definitely do this again sometime.

Let know what y’all think of it! I like the feedback.

View attachment 374371 View attachment 374369 View attachment 374368 View attachment 374366 View attachment 374364

Looks great! How long did it take to hit 167* IT?

Thank for the comments. This was a lot of fun to make. I also gave up smoking cigarettes over 2 years ago, about the time I bought my offset smoker lol. I tell people I gave up one smoking for another. Food definitely tastes better these days. I too have put on about 30 pounds. Having 3 little boys in the past 4 years hasn’t helped my weight any either. Sympathy weight is a true thing. My wife carried the babies but I did plenty of the weight gaining. But if I’m going to gain, I choose it to be from smokey Q!

We have 3 little boys as well! (3,2,1) I hear you on putting on pounds! After our youngest, it hit me hard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky