Beef knuckle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Bought a beef knuckle from GFS . Wanted to get something that I had not worked with before , and it was $3.30 a lb. so I grabbed one .
Came home , and broke it into sections . Just followed the fat line between the muscles . Saved the trim and made some bologna ( posted in another thread )
This is what I ended up with . Good yield for $30 and some change .
20200302_104620.jpg
Ground the trim , seasoned with Owens German bologna .
20200303_075020.jpg 20200304_151507.jpg
The bigger cuts went to the freezer .
The smallest roast on the left of the first pic . Went for a spin in the 360 for supper that night .
20200305_174837.jpg
I put it on the shaft , then tie it . Helps to keep it centered I think .
Took it to an internal temp of 135 .
Rested and sliced .
20200305_190941.jpg

Simple but very good super .
20200305_191441.jpg
This has great beefy flavor . I think I'll inject the next bigger one and throw it in the mes 30
for sandwich meat .
Thanks for lookin .

Nice! Looks like that was a great meal! And thats a heck of deal! I need to start buying more whole cuts or primary cuts to break down myself. Lots of savings for a little bit of time spent. Not to mention its cut to your liking and you end up with trim for some good sausage making like you did.

Interesting that you posted this. I was at GFS the other day picking up some pork butts to do pulled pork for a dinner last night. While I was there I was looking at the meat section for something to throw in the smoker for dinner that night while I had it fired up (I smoked the 4 butts on Saturday). They had these knuckles there. I looked at them for a while, but I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them. I ended up with a pack of spare ribs instead (3 racks). Looks like you figured it out. Looks awesome!!!

Now that's being adventurous and creative at the same time! I'm in for a samich, nice work!

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice! Looks like that was a great meal! And thats a heck of deal! I need to start buying more whole cuts or primary cuts to break down myself. Lots of savings for a little bit of time spent. Not to mention its cut to your liking and you end up with trim for some good sausage making like you did.
Yes you should .
Thanks for the comments .

I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them.
I really didn't know either . Knew it was lean . Figured treat it like eye , top or bottom round .
Next time I can get in the door of GFS , i'll get a couple more .
Thanks for looking .

sure looks like a tasty meal, the bologna looks great too.
Thanks Jim !

Reactions: JC in GB
I will have to try a pack of beef knuckle now.
Looks great! Thanks for posting.
Thanks JC . Appreciate the comment .

Now that's being adventurous and creative at the same time! I'm in for a samich, nice work!
Be a good one for the X-fire .
Thanks for looking .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky