Battle Brisket in the Yoder 640

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Actually my wife requested brisket so I took a few pics but nothing ground breaking on this just really good eating. Also remembered I had this Signals Wifi Thermometer and figured I'd give it a full run out to see how this works since we finally got Wifi in the Barn.

Out of the package as a 16.5# Prime grade whole packer. Trimmed 2.75#. I typically only trim off bare minimum.
IMG_0245.jpeg

I actually used a thin slather of mustard on this brisket. We'll see if it affects the taste any?
Basic rub combo: Texas rub (my version) 1/2 cup course Kosher salt, 1/2 cup black pepper, TBS garlic powder, TBS Onion powder.
IMG_0249.jpeg

Into the Yoder 640 filled with Lumberjack Pecan blend & set at 230°. This Signals set up has been stashed in a drawer for years. So I get it plugged in set up, updated and working prior to putting the brisket in the cooker. I gave the device a full work out. Kind of a pain dealing with all the cords and such but it was fun to see the temps graphed. Just for fun I had 3 probes in 3 different places on the brisket.
IMG_0251.jpeg

Green line is in the flat - check out that stall
IMG_0257.png

When a plan comes together...Perfect temps at all three probe (how the hell did that happen? :emoji_laughing:)

IMG_0258.png

14.5 hours later + 2 hour rest

IMG_0260.jpeg

cutting board money shot - This brisket was so delicious, tender, & juicy.

Not much to cover here but the Signals device was fun and different. Wifi is cool and I look forward to upgrading the Yoder to Wifi in the very near future. Amazing how much that meat draws up during the stall and seeing that temp drop was interesting. So the graph was cool.

Ya'll this was only the 3rd prime brisket I've ever done. It was off the scale good. That SPOG rub is perfect on brisket as well as most anything. No taste at all from the mustard but the bark was spot on (to my liking) so I may use mustard for rub binder on brisket again.

Thanks for looking and fire up those smokers!

Last edited:
Very nice!!! Nothing like a brisket.

Thermoworks waterproof probes are much more flexible (non-kink) and easy to work with.
Only down side to them is handle part of the probe is pretty thick. about 1/2" I think.
You need a fairly large probe hole on the smoker.
LSG has a large enough hole, had to drill out my CampChef probe port.

Very nice!!! Nothing like a brisket.

Thermoworks waterproof probes are much more flexible (non-kink) and easy to work with.
Only down side to them is handle part of the probe is pretty thick. about 1/2" I think.
You need a fairly large probe hole on the smoker.
LSG has a large enough hole, had to drill out my CampChef probe port.
Thanks Bruce. My Yoder has 2 probe holes (one on each side) and those signal probes don't like going through the small probe opening that I installed. My Yoder is a science project in progress.
Good lookin' brisket !

I've used my signals a handful of times so far . Great therm . The graph is crazy how much info it provides .
Thanks Chop. So much great info. I'm obsessed with internal temps & I learn a little on every cook I do.
Great job on that brisket! Good thing you listen to your wife!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan,
Rule #1: My wife loves brisket - Makes her happy :)
Rull #2: See Rule #1

Thanks for the kind words and likes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky